• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opinions wanted on Hard drive set up - look please!! !!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaym14

Setting up my new rig and here's what I'm deciding between: (this is going into a i7 920 W7 pro rig used primarily for gaming as the main boot disc )

I currently own 4 x WD 150 gb raptors do I -

1. put all four in raid 0??
2. put all four in raid 10
3. sell them and get 4 x F3 spinpoint 500's and put them in raid 0?
4. sell them and get a SSD?? (too expensive still imo)
5. or your suggestions??

I'm interested in speed and performance primarily. I'm well aware of the failure risks with a four disc raid 0 array, this disc is going to be only used to store the OS/games & photoshop. If it crashes it won't hurt me. I have a WD Blue that I use for storage.

Other thoughts:
1. I'm intrigued by SSD's (who isn't?) but their low storage capacity, high price, & current limited availability make them an unattractive option.
2. Based on reviews, the F3's should out perform the raptors in all areas but access times, should this sway me away from them or towards them given my usage? I would think away, but the difference might not be noticeable in actual use. Plus, they offer great value given their larger capacity and cheap price.

JCLW

I run four 74G Raptors in RAID 0 on my workstation, with a mapped 1.5GB network RAID 1 array for storage.

I find RAID 0 much more resposive then RAID 10.

After having my array go down because of a loose SATA cable, I now put a dab of RTV silicone on the side of the SATA (and power) connectors to hold them securely in place.

Marshmallow64

I would sell them and get a SSD or get some western digital blacks that are higher capacity and perform better if not the same as the raptors. Only difference is access times but it comes close.

I would not put all four in RAID 0 due to high increase of data loss, if anything just raid 0 two of them and sell the other two for a storage drive.

OP
Jaym14

Jaym14

I would sell them and get a SSD or get some western digital blacks that are higher capacity and perform better if not the same as the raptors. Only difference is access times but it comes close.

I would not put all four in RAID 0 due to high increase of data loss, if anything just raid 0 two of them and sell the other two for a storage drive.

If I sell them I won't get anywhere near the cost of a SSD with a decent GB capacity. I'm not afraid of data loss on this array b/c I'm only going to install the OS/games/ and a few other random programs. All of my important data will be stored on a separate disc.

Joeteck

Retired
I would RMA them, and see if you can get 4 VelociRaptors....

I have 4 150 gig Raptors too, and they have been failing monthly...

OP
Jaym14

Jaym14

I would RMA them, and see if you can get 4 VelociRaptors....

I have 4 150 gig Raptors too, and they have been failing monthly...

I considered this also, but does WD always send you a velociraptor if you send them a raptor?

Do they check to make sure they are faulty? Mine aren't but I could easily claim they are :D

Joeteck

Retired
I considered this also, but does WD always send you a velociraptor if you send them a raptor?

Do they check to make sure they are faulty? Mine aren't but I could easily claim they are :D

Well, Make a call to 1-800-275-4932, and ask for them... Hey we spent over $200 each for these things.. They should have no problem giving us $179 drives in their place...

earlier today I made a call, and told them my issue. I already had 150 gig raptor replaced with a 160gig Raptor, second gen SATA as well. And my second Raptor I just got back today and its a VelociRaptor. So then I called and told them I fear my other drives will fail, can they replace them with VR's, and they said yes...

They don't have any in stock at the moment and told me to call back in three days... They will give you a case number and you'll be set to go..

OP
Jaym14

Jaym14

Here's what my existing raid 0 set up (2 raptor 150's) just ran -

Not too shabby - 4 of these in raid 0 should perform quite well. But my question really is how would this compare to Samsung f3 spintechs in raid or WD Blacks?

ratbuddy

Don't lie. Try telling the truth and see what they say, but it's really shady if you just claim they are broken when they work fine.

tuskenraider

I think they've pretty much lost a lot of their value at this point, and are worth more to you than someone else. I think I'd keep 2 and RAID0 'em, sell the other 2 before they're worthless, as running 4 drives resulting in higher sequential reads has never proven to be much faster in general app and gaming usage. That also would be the only benefit of going to a newer higher density drive such as the F3's as well. Raptors still have the same/better random access time against even a larger, short stroked drive to where that'd would be a lateral move IMO. As far as SSD, yeah, wait. I have one and it's quick and all, but they are still headaches.......gotta learn all the new lingo, sift through tons of threads trying to weed out old info, worry about partition alignment, trim, garbage collection, degradation over time, flashing firmware only in IDE mode, etc., etc. Windows 7 makes things much easier now, but still a pain, and the cost of course. :beer:

tachi1247

I'd wait as well and get an ssd sometime in the next year or so.

Based on all the news lately, apple has been buying up a ton of nand memory (can you say tablet) as well as a couple of other places and it has really driven the price of nand up. the affect of this is pretty obvious as everyone has raised ssd prices in the last few months. give it until next fall and the prices should normalize again, sata 6 gb/s will be out and drives will be faster to take advantage of it, new raid hardware chips will be available that can pass on TRIM support, and the world will be a better place...

Joeteck

Retired
Don't lie. Try telling the truth and see what they say, but it's really shady if you just claim they are broken when they work fine.

I did not say to lie... The woman on the phone says, even if the drive appears to function normally may still have bad blocks on the drive. I told her my drive is fine, however I fear failure is soon... She said no problem...

The Raptor series is their performance drive. People who have these spent money, and they know this... Special treatment, it would seem...

Manufacture date is Oct 24 2006...

Last edited:

ratbuddy

I did not say to lie... The woman on the phone says, even if the drive appears to function normally may still have bad blocks on the drive. I told her my drive is fine, however I fear failure is soon... She said no problem...

The Raptor series is their performance drive. People who have these spent money, and they know this... Special treatment, it would seem...

Manufacture date is Oct 24 2006...

Was talkin' to that guy :beer: