• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron info wanted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

I'd love to upgrade to an Operton processor, but can't find much info about mobo's, overclockability, etc. Anyone got any links, info. I should check out. It seems like it could be the ultimate gamer chip based on the hype, but it needs a chipset and solid AGP support. All I can find are server boards with no AGP support at all and limited other capabilities. I know it is "designed" for the server market. However, having once had a Pentium Xeon setup in a desktop system I like the idea of using server designed chips for regular desktop pc's. You can get some seriously added boosts for the buck when you do this, but you gotta have a Mobo and video, PCI slots, etc. to go along with the server designed chip. I know I could wait till the fall for the official launch of the supposed desktop hammer chip, but why not use the higher performing server designed chip now in a board with the right chipset (like I hear NVidia may be producing as the NForce3 chipset.).

mbigna

I just got back from the AMD Tech Tour 2003 tonight. I'll be posting an article that will probably answer some of your questions.

The Reader's Digest version is like this:

Athlon 64 will be the desktop chip. It will not be SMP enabled and will be priced as a 32-bit chip of corresponding speed.

Opteron is the server version. It is SMP enabled.

Athlon XP chips will be discontinued as of Q4 2004. There will be no more 32-bit chips manufactured by AMD after then.

Several motherboard manufacturers were present (MSI, Asus, A-Open, Abit, and a few others). ALL said that they already had Athlon 64 boards stocked in their warehouses, though only one had a board that I could see, but would not let me photograph. Opteron boards will be available upon launch as well.

OC Detective

Asus have just released a NF3 for the Opteron which has 1 AGP slot as well as 5 PCI's.

ASUS SK8N (nForce3) Specs

CPU: Socket 940 for AMD Opteron processor

Chipset: NVDIA nForce 3 pro150

Hyper Transport: 6.4 GB/Sec

Memory: Dual-Channel memory architecture

4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 8GB
PC2700 / PC2100/ PC1600 ECC DDR SDRAM Registered memory

Expansion Slots 1 x AGP 8X, 5x PCI

Storage:2 x UltraDMA 133/100

Promise R20378 RAID controller
1xUltraDMA133
supports two hard drivers

2xSerial ATA
RAID0, RAID1, RAID 0+1

Audio: ALC650, S/PDIF out interface

LAN: CK8 MAC+ RealTek RTL8201BL PHY

USB2.0 Integrated 6 USB2.0 ports

Special Feature ASUS MyLogo2
ASUS EZ Flash
Support S/PDIF out interface
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
ASUS CrashFree-BIOS
ASUS Q-Fan
ASUS Multi-language BIOS

Internal: I/O connectors
1xUSB2.0 connector support additional 2 USB 2.0 ports
20-pin ATX power connector
4-pin ATX 12V power connector
CPU /chassis Fan connectors
COM2 connector
CD/ AUX audio in
IEEE 1394 connector

Overclock Feature: ASUS JumperFree
Memory voltage adjustable

Back Panel: I/O 1xPS/2 keyboard
1xPS/2 mouse
1xSerial
4xUSB
1xParallel
1xRJ45
1xIEEE1394
1x Audio I/O

BIOS Feature: 4Mb Flash EEPROM
AMI BIOS with enhanced ACPI,DMI,PnP,Green,TCAV
ASUS EZ Flash, ASUS Mylogo2, Multilanguage, ASUS Q-Fan, ASUS C.P.R, SM BIOS 2.3, Crash-Free BIOS2

Industry Standard: PCI 2.2, USB2.0
Manageability WOL by PME, WOR by PME

Support CD drivers
ASUS PC Probe
Trend Micro PC-cillin 2002 anti-virus software
User's manual
UltraDMA cable
FDD cable
IDE cable
SATA cable
COM2 cable
One port 1394 module
2 Port USB module with cable

Accessories: I/O shield

From Factor: ATX 12"*9.6" (30.5cm*24.5cm)

dropadrop

There is registered pc2700 out, (kingston or samsung) it's just not very widely available. Maby this will lower the prices, and raise availability!

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
I don't think that the Opertron is going to be a widely used mainstream option. It's meant to compete with exclusively priced Itanium, and will probably also be priced as such. Soon to be released after the Opertron will be the Clawhammer based Athlon 64, using a 752-pin socket as opposed to the 904. This is going to be the next mainstream option. I, myself, am waiting for the .09 um San Diego core to build my next system around. I don't think that the Clawhammers are going to be too mature, and their earlier incarnations will be outdone by the 32-bit Athlon XP's most of us currently own. AMD is also overshooting their pr-ratings by an annoying degree. The server based Sledgehammer, which you're interested in, seems to suffer from this. Another problem is that the early motherboards are going to use conventional AGP and PCI buses, as opposed to the upcoming PCI Express bus, featuring direct memory access, hot swappability among other things.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
It's just kind of cool. ;) But what makes PCI Express superior is its direct memory access, like AGP slots. Furthermore, being a new standard, it will effectively make conventional PCI obsolete.