• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron versus Itanium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SafirXP

AMD about sign a deal with Cray for 10,000 Opterons. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9647 Look at the amount of Itaniums that have been sold, just over 3000 in the last 2 years. Plus I've heard/read that many vendors will bring out Opteron based/equipped products. And after reading the reviews I think AMD will slowly take a fairly big chunk out of corporate market & maybe lead the 64bit processor arena.

But scaling the processor would be really important. The P4 architecture helped it to scale from 1.3GHz to 3.2GHz (debuting soon). Getting past the 2GHz mark & reaching the 2.6-2.8GHz will help a lot. FSB isn't the issue anymore fore the Opteron. It already has a dual memory controller I believe. It be really interesting to see how the Opteron turns out in the next 12-18months.

oops, didn't see the warning against having intel vs amd wars! sorry guys, i started this thread thinking mainly about the Opteron than havin a go at the Itanium!

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Looking at the pure cost of ownership between Opteron and Itanium, one is much more likely to buy an Opteron. Opteron, at minimum, performs on the same level as Itanium and given that Opteron can natively run legacy 32 bit apps, and costs under $1000, it's a clear choice. Itanium is the redheaded stepchild of Intel server chips and will most likely get retired soon if the Cray deal is any kind of barometer for future Opteron sales.

XWRed1

On big iron servers, being able to run old win32 apps is crucial.

OP
SafirXP

SafirXP

Itanium II performs really well in some of the benchmarks results I've seen scattered over the web!