• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron140 or P4HT??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skab

Been looking and searching and searching and have'nt been able to come up with a definetive answer. FOR SETI PURPOSES only what's the real deal? P4 hyperthreading or the Opteron140/142, seems to be about the same cost right now but which is realy the better cruncher, or is the 64bit3000+ for 100$ more the way to go for WU production. All the different sites, I can't seem to decipher just what's the best for this, will be the last new cruncher for me for 9 months I figure.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I have an A64 FX51 overclocked to 2500 on water and my P4 3.0C at default still produces more wu's per day. It's going to be hard to say if this will hold true for Boinc when we switch over in the next month or so.

OP
skab

skab

Yea, kinda what I've been noticing in my search. Well hope the bios chip I'm getting will work for my other mobo then all I need is another P4ht and off to the races. I kinda wanted one of those opteron setups though if I could justify it somehow besides the wants.

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
Your Absolutely Correct!

skab said:
OK, but what's your opinion? you've been around for awhile.

You are correct, I have been around for a while and your question deserves a more appropriate answer.

From what reading and research I have had access to, the 64Bit AMDs are really not able to exercise any of their strengths using the current OS's and SETI Clients. Even the SETI Clients labeled for 64Bit systems are not optimized to take advantage of the architecture of the AMD's. This is sure to change(maybe), but the question is when. I personally would rather take advantage of the proven P4 with HT which we know is a solid performer at SETI and let the 64Bit mature a while longer and see where exactly the support comes from and how quickly.

SkyHook

OP
skab

skab

Looks like a P4ht, what you guy's have said pretty much confirms what I've been able to find in my researching. Too bad Newegg had refurbished opteron for 140$, only a 140 though.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
skab said:
Looks like a P4ht, what you guy's have said pretty much confirms what I've been able to find in my researching. Too bad Newegg had refurbished opteron for 140$, only a 140 though.
but w/ $30 more, you can get a 2.4c and easily clock it over 3GHz (more around 3.2GHz range) and turn out 16-18WUs/day!!