• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opterons vs x2's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siresword

sorry guys :(

i need to know and i want a definitive answer soo

opterons vs x2's

what are the benifits? and what about overclocking ?
and lol i guess price is a factor too .. and is it still worth it to stay single core?

darksparkz

The Opteron dual cores, 165, 170, and 175 all have 2x1MB of L2 Cache, while the X2s all have 2x512KB of L2 Cache, except for the X2 4400+ and X2 4800+ having 2x1MB of cache. The Opterons also run at a lower stock vcore, which means more headroom and lower temps. The Opterons have been seen to be able to OC better then the X2s, most Opterons go up to around 2.7-2.9ghz, while X2s top out at 2.6-2.7ghz.

If you can afford the dual core, the Opteron 165 starts at around $300 or so, then definitely go for it. The X2 3800+ is around $280, so definitely opt for the 165.

OP
siresword

siresword

oh wow okay thanks i see
are there compatibility problems with opterons?
and do you know anything about their cores?
(italy vs denmark?)

GonzoCubFan

Registered
What about memory compatibility? Do the Opterons work with standard DDR memory? I assume that you can use just about any 939 socket mobo with the Opterons, no?

I had been toying with getting an x2 4200+ but the 1 mb L2 cache per core looks like a definite advantage. I'm also very interested in keeping the system as cool as possible with as little noise as possible. Overclocking is not a very high priority for me. Also, it appears that you can't get OEM versions of the x2's but you can certainly get them for the Opterons. Since I plan to get an XP-120 + fan for cooling, I'd just as soon get an OEM package.

Thanks for any input on this.

= Ed =

Rattle

I would go with a 165 opteron dual core or a X2 3800, whichever is priced better.

a 4200 is a rippoff its only 200mhz faster most 3800's will do 2.4 on stock voltage.

If the cache is so important to you get a 165.
I was so surprised at how great a dual core made my machine. the benefits are across the board.

They are fun to overclock and you can multitask like a madman, all that hogwash about a fast single core being better for gaming is just that.

Games are starting to run faster on a dual core now than a fx-57... and the ones that dont take advantage, the older games run just as well.

darksparkz

skt939 Opterons would work the same as the X2s. You might just need a BIOS update, and they work with the same type of ram as the X2s or anything on skt939.

And yeah, if you want to consider the X2 4200+, go for the 165, it has more cache, more OCability, and probably going to be cheaper then the X2 4200+.

OP
siresword

siresword

will you see a noticable improvement with the 2x1mb cache ?

and are there memory compatibility issues with the opterons?

Rattle

Just make sure the opteron you buy is a 939. wether its a single or a dual as long as its a 939 its basically the same as a A64 or X2 64 would be in respect to ram compatabiltity.

As far as i;m concerned cache means squat to the every day user.

I had a 3700 san diego that was at 2.7 and it has 1meg cache
I still have a 3000 venice that did 2.7 and it has 512.

I never got one extra point handed to me in any test or any speed increase that I could see with the san diego over the venice with the same clocks....

apollooff320

Registered
hey can someone post that AMD roadmap? I want to get a dual core a month a 2 and overclock it to be comparable to a 5000+.

IWasHungry

Keep in mind:
Opteron 165: 1.8GHz stock & 2x1MB L2 cache
AthlonX2 3800+: 2.0GHz stock & 2x512KB L2 cache

I'de still go for the Opteron. :)