• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

optical mice with blue LED's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostmeister

Well, I've just put a blue LED in my mouse - not the illumination LED, but the tracking LED that gets brighter when you run your finger over the sensor. So it does work then - I did wonder, but it's nice to know. Is there any need to write a how-to? All you do is take your mouse apart, desolder the red LED and solder a blue LED in place the same way round. Simple :) Oh yeah, the mouse I tried it with is a Trust ami mouse 2505 mini optical. I might just put a blue LED in my intellimouse though as it's a success with this one.

OP
F

frostmeister

I don't know. Did it? I only modded my mouse this morning, although I've posted about my other mouse which has a blue illumination LED in it, which prompted someone to ask whether I had tracking problems - but it wasn't the tracking LED I'd replaced, and so I tried replacing the tracking LED, and voila. Here we are. Anyway, It works.

h0mersimps0n

now THIS is a mouse with blue LEDs :)

ibm-top.jpg

ibm-night.jpg

ibm-front.jpg

ibm-back.jpg

h0mersimps0n

funny you mention it, I actually do have to angle the mouse away from my bed... lights up the posters on my wall..

As you can see I tried to aim them down, and did so only half successfully...

worth every penny :)

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I've already screwed up once trying to put a blue LED in my Logitech Optical . . . Maybe I'll buy a ghetto mouse and try it w/ that first, before I try the Logitech one again.

Namagomi

Disabled
frostmeister said:
I don't know. Did it? I only modded my mouse this morning, although I've posted about my other mouse which has a blue illumination LED in it, which prompted someone to ask whether I had tracking problems - but it wasn't the tracking LED I'd replaced, and so I tried replacing the tracking LED, and voila. Here we are. Anyway, It works.

speaking of the illumation LED, i really want to take that freaking thing out of my Intelleye Explorer. I really hate pointless lights in my mice =P

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Oni said:
I've already screwed up once trying to put a blue LED in my Logitech Optical . . . Maybe I'll buy a ghetto mouse and try it w/ that first, before I try the Logitech one again.
Oni u wanna see the hack job I did to mine? The stupid traces lifted when I remove the old LED. I got it working tho. If you still have it and it doesnt work post a pic. With patience it can be fixed. Lots of patience.

I forgot whos idea it was but someone here mentioned that to make it easier dont desolder, cut the leads very close to the LED and either solder to them or solder a 3pin fan connector to the LED and just slide the leads in and slip the LED in place. After having modded my mouse I have to say that seems to be the best method for people with 0 soldering skills (actually 0 solder removal skills :D )