• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optical Mouse Problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

I have a Microsoft Optical Mouse. It is the cheapest one, i think the intellipoint. Yo know, it has the annoying unneeded light in the back. Two button and a scroll button that pushes down for anothe rbutton. Anyway, can this mouse run on UBS1.1? Thats what my mobo has and i am not really willing to deal out 20 bucks for a USB 2.0 card (im lazy :beer: ). I have it in PS/2 and I was wondering if it would perform better or evebn at all in USB. I cant get it to work. No matter which USB slot I plug it into, it still doesnt light up or anything. Is there an option in BIOS or do I need the drivers and stuff also (i just plugged it in and it worked). Thnx. I am determined to get my systmem working the way I want. I am gonna be starting a lot of topics in different sections.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
If it doesn't light up it's most likely dead. I prefer PS/2 simply because I can use PS2rate to up the response time to 200hz (versus the 125hz of USB).
And from my experience PS/2 is less effected by system peak usage, where-as most USB mmice will start lagging when the system is under a heavy load.

OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

well, it lights up under PS/2, but not USB, o ya, what is PS2rate?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
TheFrag said:
well, it lights up under PS/2, but not USB, o ya, what is PS2rate?

The default response rate for win2000 and older OSes was 80hz. That's too low for accurate gaming or drawing ability. USB allowed for out-of-the-box 125hz respinse rates, but USB devices require system resources.

PS2rate is a small program that can change the response rate of a PS/2 mouse anywhere from 80hz, to 200hz. This makes any compatible PS/2 mouse extremely accurate. Some extremely cheap mice are incapable of responding past 120hz and won't work at such speeds.
PS2 response rate adjustments were added to the mouse control panel in winXP and do the same thing.

PS2rate is pretty easy to find if you search for it on yahoo or google.

OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

well I looked but didnt find anything in the mouse settings in windows xp pro