• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimization Idea (need comments)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

i was just takin a look at the analysis of my harddrive in disk defragmenter... and i notice that i had 300+ fragments of one of the work files in folding. mabye a good idea before keeping your comp on long periods of time (overnight or more) is to defrag your drive real quick. the initial defrag may take lotsa time ,but if you get in the habit and do it like once a week then it only takes like 5 minutes to defrag. perhaps we can see performance gains from collecting all the fragments of the work unit files?

OP
X

Xevuhtess7

yay, that's 4 people who have noticed my sig!

i wonder, if someone is admin for their company's network mabye they could sorta run an experiment for us? to see if the average frame/wu time is faster by defragging?

emericanchaos

i tend to keep my drive defragged. atm it's been 3 days since my last so i don't think i'd benefit much from this. i don't think folding is disk dependent anyways.

The_Mowman

Registered
I also have to WOW to that sig, thats pretty cool. I can definitly say I have never seen anyone think that way of computer specs.

OP
X

Xevuhtess7

thanks hehe. seems like my sig is more successful then my defrag idea :)

isn't someone on the folding team an admin for their network? i want to see if they could run the experiment