• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

order of wires in network cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eab

I have a quick qustion. What order do the wires go when you insert them into the connector with the little spring thing facing down? I think it is white-green, green, white orange, blue, white blue, orange, white brown, brown

Is that correct?

I learned to do my like this BOGB (Blue, Blue white, Orange, Green, Green White, Orange White, Brown, Brown white) do it like that on both ends for a straight though cable or switch the Blue and the Orange (in my example) to create a cross-over calbe.

You only need cross-over cables if you're connecting a switch to a switch or a computer to another computer.

Hope that helps

Note: in you case to make a cross-over cable do one end like you mentioned above and then swap your greens with your oranges.

Dark Disciple said:
I cant remember the exact order, but just as long as both ends match up, it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately it does matter in some cases. The longer the network cable the more interfrence you're going to have to deal with. There are two specifications when dealing with wire order.

T-568A (These examples are assuming that you are looking at the RJ45 with the tab on the side facing away from you)

Pin 1 Green/White
Pin 2 Green
Pin 3 Orange/White
Pin 4 Blue
Pin 5 Blue/White
Pin 6 Orange
Pin 7 Brown/White

T-568B

Pin 1 Orange/White
Pin 2 Orange
Pin 3 Green/White
Pin 4 Blue
Pin 5 Blue/White
Pin 6 Green
Pin 7 Brown/White
Pin 8 Brown

You will commonly see the first spec in practice, it's just more common.

-DarkArctic

DarkArctic is right on both color and HOW you wire them. The wires are twisted for a reason - to help negate any interferance. You have to have the correct lines hooked up to the "pair" for this to work like it should.

I've noticed the 2nd version is gaining more popularity lately, at least in the cables i've seen.

Back