• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the ghetto

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albaholic

Over the years, I've changed cases quite a few times. Each time, the cases NEVER had their sidepanels on, wires hanging out ghetto rigging things...etc They just look plain bad. One of my friends even said my rig looked as though it had been disemboweled (especially since i started WC'ing). Now I know looks aren't everthing, but just once, I would like to have a case that keeps its side panels on. So on black friday I picked up a P180. From here on out, I'll let pix do the talking.

Current setup (in all its "ghettoness")
IMG_0111.JPG

I know it looks really bad, you need not remind me :p
IMG_0115.JPG

Anyway, on with the modding

Objectives
1) Non-ghetto WC using top mounted Thermochill 120.3 & 6 Deltas wired to run 7volt
2) Clean Wiring
3) Removable dust filter tray below rad
4)Covering rad with honeycomb mesh (pending availability of mesh)
5) Obtain fan controller with enough cajones to handle 6 deltas
6) Switch to turn off 3 of the deltas when watching movies or something like that (optional)
7) Powder coat entire case (gun metal color) (optional, depending on cost)

I didn't take any stock photos of the P180, if you don't know what it looks like. here it is

IMG_0103.JPG

First up, I had to remove the top fan and use a 8-32 bolt (had to drill the shroud to fit)

IMG_0117.JPG

Shot of the delta AFB1212VHE

IMG_0104.JPG

Test mount of the delta

IMG_0107.JPG

Semi finished rad mount. the center fan will not be supported by bolts, but instead just screwed directly into the shroud.

Those are colder quick disconnects from mcmaster btw

After looking at it, I'd like the rad to sit higher. I'm going to change out the 1 3/4" bolts for 3" bolts. Also, the deltas are configured to be blowing upwards.
I'm also not sure if these thermochill "shrouds" cut it still looks like there would be big dead spots.

Pump placement is still undecided as well. If anyone has any suggestions on pump placement or shrouds. I'd appreciate it.

Hopefully more updates to come this weekend.

Last edited:
OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

The Delta is AFB1212VHE. I bought a case of them from goldmin-elec when they had them on sale. I have better fans, but they're louder and pull much more current than those deltas.

I edited the orignal post to include a pic of the delta. I just got a new canon, I'll use any excuse to take more pics. Besides we know everyone here loves pictures.

OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

Yeah that one is a bit tough to read. I think the deltas are easier to read because of the bold font. If you want bigger pics, I could always upload them in the original 7.1 megapixel format :p (Now if only my camera could take RAW pix). I would like to do more work on this project. But sadly, I ran out of nuts :shrug: I'll try to get more tonight

OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

I got more nuts. Not as bad as .06 cents each. I got 22 for 98 cents. Though I made a little mistake when i bought the 3" bolts i bought 6-32 instead of 8-32 Oh well, back to lowes again tonight.

Update: my 6800 Ultra does not like this fan

nvidia.jpg
IMG_0119.JPG

[email protected]=15.6 Watt per fan (NMB fan pulled from dell poweredge 6600)
[email protected]=10.8 Watt per fan ( VHE Delta)

I do have enough of those NMB fans to use on the thermochill. They are however much louder but move a lot more air. Regardless of which fan I choose to use, It's clear that I'll need a pretty ballsy fan controller. :cry:

OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

nah the wires are in there good. that only happens when i plug in the fan because its pulling so much current.

OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

The fans are now mounted on 3" bolts, they sit highter and grab more air now. Also, all the stupid 2 pin molex connectors were removed. Now their waiting to be sleeved and new molex connectors need to be put on. Im thinking about a cheap second power supply to power those fans. I dont like the idea off taking power away from my already power hungry rig. I still haven't found/chosen a fan controller that would be suitable for these fans.

As for the shroud issue. I like the shrouds nikhsub1 has in this thread
but I don't know if i want to spend so much money for something that looks so easy to make. (problem is I dont have a bender)

More updates to come throughout the week :santa:

OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

well if it comes down to it, I have enough bolts to bolt my case to my desk :D

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Ghetto is my kryptonite.

http://www.excesssolutions.com has a bunch of Delta fans (including the ones you're using) for $4-$5 each.

And putting a 1-inch shroud inbetween the fans and the radiator will net a greater temperature improvement than a push-pull configuration without shrouds.

OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

Yeah, that's what i figured. I guess I'll break and order a pair of those shrouds. Any suggestions for the fan controller?

Edit: I got a tad bored and decided to see what this bad boy sounds like with all the fans at 12v. It doesn't sound nearly as loud as i had expected. Well it sounds like a little vaccum cleaner once i stop playing music and turn off my vornado fan. But since those sounds are pretty much a constant, it doesn't really matter to me. Also though, the top center fan is a bit retarded. Meaning that it doesnt spin properly it just wobbles. Even with that center fan not working properly, it's still strong enough to levitate a PS2 dvd case for a bit. :)

Last edited:
OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

The little roadblocks in this project is driving me nuts. I installed NV-68 WB and the backplate hits the heatshnks on the VRM's right above the agp slot. I also cant use the lowest PCI slot because it blocks the hole where the psu cables are routed through. I'll need to come up with some ways to deal with these issues. I was hoping to have everything done by now. :(

OP
Albaholic

Albaholic

:bang head I got everything setup semi neat... and now my rig wont post :bang head
im gonna leave it alone for a while before i get ****ed and break something