• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outlook Express...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RainMaQer

3D God
How do I go about backing up my email? It keeps the mail locally so I can't just reformat without loosing it... which is a benefit of a hotmail account :rolleyes:

well just go to exports and chose messages, then just select the format u want em saved in, and presto! :D

Thanks bro... tryed your suggestion and got an error... so instead I went flipping through my HD and finally found where it stores all of the info on emails and stuff... pretty nifty... turns out that all info is stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\RainMaQer\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{00B2B070-4EBC-47C0-8A88-DC40301AD709}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Substitute "RainMaQer" with whatever your user name is and voila :D

RainMaQer said:
Thanks bro... tryed your suggestion and got an error... so instead I went flipping through my HD and finally found where it stores all of the info on emails and stuff... pretty nifty... turns out that all info is stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\RainMaQer\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{00B2B070-4EBC-47C0-8A88-DC40301AD709}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Substitute "RainMaQer" with whatever your user name is and voila :D

That's how I back mine up. Copy that folder to a different location then copy it back after I reinstall. Hardly could ever get the Import/Export to work properly. Seems if one works, the other always ends up failing.

To compact and back up e-mail folders;

1. Select an e-mail folder.

2. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact.

3. To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").

Amazing what the Help Menu can bring up:D

You can also choose where to store your mail with Outlook Exp. I make a folder called outlook on d:, with a subdir of mail.

Then open outlook on the tool bar choose "tools", maintenance tab, then the stores folder button and browse to that folder.

It's a lot easier "for me" anyway to remember where the mail is stored when I want to back it up.

Back