• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over clocked I5 760 need advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrysTalis

Hi guys. I've been building my own pc systems for gaming since 98' but have never OverClocked anything but have always been interested in learning. So finally I decided to build a budget rig i thought i could start learning to OverClock with. So i'd really like some advice on a few things now please bear with me im newbie :p

So my new system

Case: Aero ZeroDegree
PSU:OCZ 700w modXstream pro
Board: Asus p7p55d-e pro
Ram: Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 7-8-7-20
Heatsink: Hyper212 plus
Graphics : MSI GTX460 1GB Cyclone
Harddrive: WD caviar SE16 250g sata 7200
Monitor: 24in gateway (1900x1200)
Cooling setup- 4x120mm fans- 1 INTO case parallel with heatsink, 1 IN on heatsink, 1OUT on heat sink, 1 OUT of case parallel with heatsink. 1 250mm fan on side panel blowing in.

So currently stable at 3.8 with 19x200 in bios with settings

vcore: 1.25
IMC: 1.3
dram: 1.65
PLL: 1.9
PCH: 1.1
LLC: Enable
Memory timings 7-8-7-20

Cpu temps at havent gone above 58c under 100% load using prime. Memtest has passed everytime. Have Core temp set to shutdown PC if temps go above 78c.

So i mainly use my pc to play games like Crysis2, Mafia 2, WOW, Batman:ark and run at 1900x1200 and max settings.

So I have a few questions about these settings and the use of them. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

1. Are there any settings in BIOS that i should be looking out for that could potentially damage my system while running this settings?

2. Should my PC stay OC'd full time? Or should it be tuned down?

3. Am i overkilling it with these speeds for what i use it for? And if so what speeds should i be trying to hit?

4. Running the windows rating system puts everything above 7.4 but rates my hard drive transfer rate at 5.5 is this bottlenecking prime so my heats are wrong? And what kind of hard drive or system should i upgrade to?

5.My old graphics card was a Alpha dog 8800GT should i run it as a phyX card or is it not even worth it?

Any ideas, opinions, or facts about the system or tuning that i should change or worry about would be great! Thanx again!

Last edited:
first of all :welcome: to OCF.

as far as your questions.

1. as long as you have manually set the voltages for the main components (cpu, dram etc) you should be fine just watch temps (which it seems like you have very under control)

2. You could down clock the cpu automatically if you enable EIST and Cstate, this should down clock the cpu when its idle to reduce power consumption. But really even if its sitting at 3.8ghz all day long, your not going to burn the chip up at all... thats VERY rare and under extreme conditions

3. No such thing as overkill... this is OC forums after all :) typically an i5 760 on air will get in the ballpark of 4ghz +- 200ish mhz... its really a case by case basis and how hard you want to push it.

4. I dont really understand "is this bottlenecking prime so my heats are wrong" ... but typically you dont really need worry about the system rating that windows has, its a very loosely based scoring system. If you want a faster hdd setup for quicker loading times, check out SSD's ... but their price is quite a bit.

5. As far as a dedicated phyx card... take a look at a[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX#Title_support] list of games that support phyx[/URL]... its more than likely that you dont play any games that actually support phyx so having the extra card would just be extra useless power draw.

Hey there =)

I'm running the 760 @ 4ghz (182x22 on 1.28Vcore), also on air.
My temps under Prime get to 69 +-2 degrees.

So your chip is running at an awesome temp if you ask me.

Just remember that if you wanna get to 4.0 you will most likely need to up the Vcore (higher temp).

PS... Overclock your GPU!!! =D I have the gigabyte GTX460 and its a beast when overclocked.

Good luck.

Thanx for all the replies and advice. So abesto i up the multiplier to 20 so now running a 200.67x20 for 4013 mhz stable with prime loads around 60c. But im curious about a couple of things.

1. I can't seem to be able to view turbo mode tech option in bios did i disable something that shut that feature off? I was just afraid that it would bump it up to 21 multiplier on its own and with these settings might make it unstable.

2. Should i be trying to achive 4g with a higher multiplier or is 20 enough?

Last edited:
You manually changed the CPU Ratio Setting option from Auto to x20, which automatically removed the Turbo Mode Tech option.

Thanx for all the replies and advice. So abesto i up the multiplier to 20 so now running a 200.67x20 for 4013 mhz stable with prime loads around 60c. But im curious about a couple of things.

1. I can't seem to be able to view turbo mode tech option in bios did i disable something that shut that feature off? I was just afraid that it would bump it up to 21 multiplier on its own and with these settings might make it unstable.

2. Should i be trying to achive 4g with a higher multiplier or is 20 enough?

nothing wrong with 200 x 20. whats your ram speed set at?

7-8-7-20 is my current timings. Should be over clocking my ram also?

I ended up rasing my V.core to 1.28 though because intel burn was bsoding 2out 5 tests. So i running just a little higher now on intel burn with max at 68c on 1 core but avg 62-65. Idle though nothing runs above 38c.

Back