• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

over clocking an intel core 2 duo e8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
all the sticks are at 667

what do you mean i am confusing the frequency of the memory with the FSB (front side bus)

i mean that my mobo can support up to 1333 cpu and my cpu is at 1333
i mean that i can exceed that number that my mobo has ??

for example can i go the cpu from 333x10 that my cpu haw to i do not know 340x10 ???

i have seen enough times when i was in bio that my cpu was going a bit over 1333 to 1335 or 1336 ???

So I think you are trying to say that your motherboard will support CPUs with up to a 1333 mhz Front Side Bus. The "1333" refers to the FSB rating of the CPU, not the operating speed of the CPU. The e8600 has a stock operating speed of 3.3 ghz but it can run considerably faster than that if you manually increase the base clock frequency CPU frequency in bios. But doing so will also make the memory run faster because the memory frequency is tied to the bclk. So you need to lower the starting frequency of your memory to begin with to make room for that or the memory will soon become unstable. You will also need to increase the CPU voltage at some point to support the higher operating frequency. It's kind of like making a car engine run faster means you will need to feed it more gas.

So start by lowering your memory frequency from DDR2 666 to DDR2 400 speed which someone else said has already been done. Take the DRAM Frequency in bios off of Auto and set it manually to DDR2 400 speed if necessary.

Your other two adjustments in bios will be made to CPU Frequency and CPU VCore Voltage. You need to increase the CPU Frequency in small amounts and test. And you will need to take CPU VCore Voltage off of Auto and enter values manually larger than stock in order to support the faster speed of the CPU frequency as you overclock it.

You may also need a better cooler since adding more voltage to the CPU and making it run faster also makes it run hotter. You say you have an aftermarket cooler. What is the make and model of it?

Last edited:
Oh my neck! lol
Picture 1 - Disable C1E support and Intel SpeedStep

Picture 2 - Dram Frequency set to DDR2-667 or 333MHz
PCI Express Frequency to 100MHz
Spread Spectrum to Disabled
Memory Voltage to 1.90
CPU VCore will need to be set based on VID. To find your VID download CoreTemp64.zip.

Trents, socket 775 doesn't have bclk. That showed up withe the first 'i' series CPUs. ;) My E8600 could run 4.0GHz on almost stock vcore - maybe a tic or two more. I just can't remember the VID, chip was retired & replaced with a Q9560 years ago.

Trents, socket 775 doesn't have bclk. That showed up withe the first 'i' series CPUs. ;) My E8600 could run 4.0GHz on almost stock vcore - maybe a tic or two more. I just can't remember the VID, chip was retired & replaced with a Q9560 years ago.

Thanks, I corrected that bclk thing. Sometimes it gets hard to try to keep track of all the technology changes down through the years and the differences in how things are done by the manufacturers.

i cant downclock my ram to less than ddr2 667 that is the higher actually now i take off the 2 rams of different brand and left the two samsungs and i oc the rams to 833mhz

JLK03F150 i am going to do
Disable C1E support and Intel SpeedStep
PCI Express Frequency to 100MHz
Spread Spectrum to Disabled
Memory Voltage to 1.90

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/418750/CoolerMaster-Hyper-TX3-EVO.html?from=favorites_popup that is my cooler

what do you mean by CPU VCore will need to be set based on VID
i download coretemp is one time at 1000 and just of the sudden it goes to 1625 i think just for some miliseconds

Your RAM is DDR2 800 so starting at DDR2 667 should be a good place to begin.

Don't use CoreTemp. It is not well-maintained. CPUID HWMonitor (non pro version) is better.

The VID is your CPU's default voltage. The voltage for my T7500 is 1.2500v, so that is where my vcore should be manually set. You should set the vcore manually based on the VID for your E8600.

coretemp.png

("Let's eat Grandma!" or "Let's eat, Grandma!" Punctuation make a difference. lol)

Back