• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

over-use of fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghost68

well lets see how many fans one can fit in an antec SX10xx case:

2 80mm in the back exaust (+1 for the psu)
1 80mm delta 68 cooling the processor (mcx462)
1 80mm front intake
1 120mm side intake
1 60mm cooling front of vid card
1 40mm cooling front of vid card
1 40mm cooling back of vid card
1 60mm cooling the northbridge (custom heatsink)
1 80mm front intake (to be added tomorrow)

11 fans total
now all i need are some wings.....:burn:
and some earplugs hehehe

hmm..nice
heres mine :D
2 80mm exausts in the back +1 for PSU
2 80mm exausts in front
3 120mm Intakes on case door
CPU HSF (Tt Volcano6cu+)
Stock NorthBridge
2 60mm cooling ram on Vid card
1 stock HSF on vid(soon to be modded)

..thats 13...and yes its loud...lol
and I may actually add a blow hole on the top of the case...maybe...

Last edited:
Ghost68 said:
well lets see how many fans one can fit in an antec SX10xx case:

2 80mm in the back exaust (+1 for the psu)
1 80mm delta 68 cooling the processor (mcx462)
1 80mm front intake
1 120mm side intake
1 60mm cooling front of vid card
1 40mm cooling front of vid card
1 40mm cooling back of vid card
1 60mm cooling the northbridge (custom heatsink)
1 80mm front intake (to be added tomorrow)

11 fans total
now all i need are some wings.....:burn:
and some earplugs hehehe

Don't feel bad I have 10 fans in my case. It isn't THAT loud. Check out this thread if you think you're alone...http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70765

3 80mm case fans - 7V
1 80mm psu fan (really quiet)
1 60mm chipset fan - 5V
1 80mm gfx card fan - 7V
1 172mm 24V radiator fan - 8-10V.

7 fans, it's pretty quiet, my HDDs make a lot of the noise.

I only have 3 fans, but they are BIG. How big you ask, weel they are 110 volt 6 inch industrial fans. They are connected in series to give maximum air pressure. At maximum power I think that they are nosier than any of your rigs.

8 X 80's (4 in the side panel, 2 in the rear 2 in the front)
GPU fan X1
north bridge fan X1
hot swap HDD fan X 1
Chipset fan X1
(all are getting custom machined HS)
------------------------------
total 12

will be adding water soon with a couple of 120's working over the radiator. also some thing (not sure yet what, on the floor and something in the top) my case is about 4-7c hotter than room temp

Last edited:
I only have 3.
  • 1 92mm H1 panflo for exuast
  • 1 60mm fan on heatsink
  • 1 120mm H1 panflo ducted to the 60mm on my heatsink
tbird [email protected] is running 37c at full load. Its not how many fans you have its where you put them.

AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG

This isn't really to do with fans but I just spotted guido's sig...
void main(void)
NO NO NO!!!!
int main(void) damnit!!!

why would you wanna do that? I am not even working with any intigers......

what is the point of returning something from main?

copy and paste it ..........bet it compiles

maybe i should of thrown a couple of endl's or \n in.

wow, u all have a lot of fans. i have one in my psu that u cant hear at all, one 80mm exast, and 1 120mm on my rad. its not too loud at all :cool:

Tweak said:
I only have 3 fans, but they are BIG. How big you ask, weel they are 110 volt 6 inch industrial fans. They are connected in series to give maximum air pressure. At maximum power I think that they are nosier than any of your rigs.

Big and loud isn't the point here. Having to plug in a second power cord just for your fans isn't my idea of efficient. I might as well grab one of my spare radiator fans and use that as a side panel. In my opinion, quiet, efficient cooling is where it's at. If you can do it without water cooling, even better.

your probably right quiet is better, but if you don't have water cooling then you have to settle for Big and loud.......i just got a little better PSU and it only has one cord.......but i've got like 300000000000000000 cords comming of my fans.....lol

Guid0 said:
why would you wanna do that? I am not even working with any intigers......

what is the point of returning something from main?

copy and paste it ..........bet it compiles

maybe i should of thrown a couple of endl's or \n in.

It compiles, but shouldn't. The compilers are broken. main MUST return int to be valid C++ (or C). As for the point, the OS picks up what you return from main you know, some even do things with the value. Some OSes have been know to do odd things if you have a void main as you get random return values.

if you would like we could take to the Programming tips and tricks forum, maybe i could learn something, but what exactly is the os getting from 9 "cout" statements? i don't want to pass the OS anything. I haven't tried it, but it should compile on any compiler on any OS. In order for the OS to pick somehting up doesn't it need pointers and API?

int main(), int main(void), void main(), and void main(void) are valid C++. some compilers don't like some of them, and the most comon is int main() or int main(void).

Amateurs, all of you.:D

1 172mm front intake
1 172mm top blowhole
1 120mm pci cooler intake
1 centrifugal slot blower
2x 80mm exhaust in back
dual fans on psu
1 92mm sleeve bearing hdd cooler

That makes a total of 9 fans, not including the ones attached to various heatsinks. What's so special about 9 fans? Well, lets add up the cfms

235 + 235 +108 + 2x30(approx) + 30 = 668 cfm

and that isn't including the psu fans or anything that doesn't blow directly into or out of my case.

of course, the big ones are running at 7v, so the cfms are actually lower

Ohhhhhh sweet! but thats pretty weak having those big bad *** fans and then not letting them perform like they should. It's like owning a Ferrari but only driving it 45 mph everywhere.LOL Im just kidding i have fan envy for sure. BTW where did you get those 172s?

I think the first guy has too many fans. He can probably forgo the backside GPU fan and one of the fan blowing on the front. I can't imagine getting to much benefit out of it. I keep adding fans even though I originally tried to run just two, and succeeded. One power supply fan and one radiator fan. I now have a reduced speed 80mm HDD intake and a 92mm Sunon reduced speed intake. I plan on adding a few more Panaflo 120mm L1A slowed down also, swapping out old fans.

knight1976 said:
Ohhhhhh sweet! but thats pretty weak having those big bad *** fans and then not letting them perform like they should. It's like owning a Ferrari but only driving it 45 mph everywhere.LOL Im just kidding i have fan envy for sure. BTW where did you get those 172s?

www.mpja.com. Cheapest place I have seen to buy em. reason I turned em down is because they sound like a friggin airplane and my temps don't improve much by running it at 12v...although it is perdy spiffy to make balloons magically float above my computer when I run the exhaust at 12v.

Back