• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclicking advice for 2.8c?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White_lightning

Registered
Overclocking advice for 2.8c?

im getting a asus p4p800 mb, 2 512 sticks of Buffalo pc3200 ram and a 2.8c .
anyone had any luck with this combo? advice on ram speed and voltage? what about CPU? i dont want to " push the limit" i need the machine to be as stable as possible.. what results have you guys seen, and what seems to be a stable OC?
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Alphy and I bought our 2.8C at the same time and both of us have a perfectly stable 3.5 gig overclock with low voltage (1.54v actual measured for me at 3.5 gig). I can benchmark and run at 3.6 gig, but it's only 98% stable at that speed. So, with halfway decent cooling, 3.5 gig is a reasonable goal. That's 250 FSB, so with PC3200 RAM you'll be using the 5:4 mem ratio to give you DDR400, which is exactly what your RAM is rated for. Should be a winner. I can see you smiling already.

White_lightning said:
im thinking of an slk900u and a 92mm fan for cooling.. shoudl that be sufficient?

that should be good enough but you still need a good air flow on your case
and the setup should be able to give you a good OC

At 3.5ghz currently 5:4 Ram Timing by SPD

At Prime95 running the Benchmark mode for about 1 hour n no error but error everytime on the Toture Test.

SLK900U with Everflow fan.

3Dmark2k1 & 2k3 - No Error.

winter-bench.jpg

Excellent! What's your voltage? If you're still at default, maybe try bumping it up one notch since you have good cooling. That might help prevent the error on the torture test.

Dang, I nailed this one, huh? Exactly what I said it would do. Bet I was right about him smiling too.

winternights said:

At Prime95 running the Benchmark mode for about 1 hour n no error but error everytime on the Toture Test.

SLK900U with Everflow fan.

3Dmark2k1 & 2k3 - No Error.

what type of errors?

winternights said:

The error on the torture test.

I am a newb

Now what about a newb like me?

I am using the stock cooling on the chip, I have a full size tower with excellent airflow (the entec case) and an additional case fan.

Am I playing with fire if I try and overclock? Should I be investing in an additional fan? Changing out the CPU cooling? Any thoughts?

ShoNuff said:
White_Lightning, where did you get your cpu from. I just ordered from NewEgg and I hope I get a "Good One."
a freind of mine is a reseller.. so i can get it for "cost"
im waiting for him to get another batch in.. either 2.6c or 2.8c

White_lightning said:
a freind of mine is a reseller.. so i can get it for "cost"
im waiting for him to get another batch in.. either 2.6c or 2.8c

Cost, that's awesome! Wish I had a hook up like that. Is cost typically 15% less than retail?

Ragtooth, sure you can overclock with the retail cooler and good case ventilation. My advice is to leave it at default CPU voltage and to not push it as much. You have to watch temps closer with stock cooling. Not sure what CPU you have (or planning on getting), but with the "C" 800 bus CPUs, 3.0 to 3.2 gig is probably an easy relatively mild overclock.

ShoNuff, I got my 2.8C at googlegear.com and a couple others that got theirs at about the same time also got a stable 3.5 gig overclock.

The setup is:

p4 2.8C 800fsb
2x 512 Micron PC3200 DDR400
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 (865PE)

It is in an Antec Performance II SX1040B II Case with a 430w powersupply with dual fans. This is a big bellied beast.

I originally had an athlon 1.4Ghz in the case so I had added an extra case fan in when I built it. The case actually seemed to cool down when the system was running.

I ran athlon cause the last time I upgraded all there was for P4's was rambus memory (am not a big fan).

Is this MoBo a big mistake? I am looking for basic reliance and very basic overclocking. (I really just want to see a stable 3.2GHz ... sacrilege on this forum right?)

batboy, I was trying to order at GoogleGear but they never sent my password so I could complete the transaction. So, I went to old faithful (NewEgg). I spent a few dollars more but my processor is on its way.

Ragtooth, Gigabyte ain't bad, it would be about my third choice for a mobo. Lots worse ones out there. Lots of folks really like Gigabyte. Like I said, 3.0 to 3.2 gig should be within easy reach, just stay at default voltage and watch the temps. How far you can go is temp dependent. Those Antec cases are nice.

Shonuff, newegg and googlegear are my two main choices nowadays. Can't go wrong with either. I order from one or the other depending on price and if the product is in stock. You'll get a good CPU from the "egg", they are a high volume retailer, so you'll have a better chance of a later pack date compared to other vendors.

Back