• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock becomes unstable with gpu..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nwbobby

Registered
I5 9600k
Corsair h100i pro
Asus prime z390-a
Corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb 3200mhz
Gtx 1060 sc
Cooler master mwe gold 650 80+

Tried all overclocking following guides from 4600 up to 5000mhz and all seem to do the same thing. Testing using prime95 small fft with avx and graphics card installed will immediately shutdown/reboot pc.

Not seeing temps over 75c

I have got to a stable 4800, with no gpu
Vcore 1.285
Abc offset 2
I am able to run realbench and prime95 26.6 small fft(with and without avx) with no resets and temps are under 70c.

Could this be my power supply or possibly a bad gpu?

Have tested memory and passes all tests.

Last edited:

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
You have VRam at 1.285 is that the voltage? The RAM should be at 1.35V. This might be part of the issue

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
If you're trying to go faster it's quite likely just a VCore issue.You just have to keep increasing until you find stability and stay within max temp range you still have lots of headroom there

OP
N

nwbobby

Registered
Which I have without the gpu, but running with my gpu makes everything unstable.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Tough to know without testing each. Test your gpu in a known good system... test another gpu in yours. You can also remove all overclocking and see if it is stable with a gpu. If it is, chances are the overclock wasn't really stable.

You can try another power supply as well.

OP
N

nwbobby

Registered
Without overclocking everything is 100% stable. It is an old card, I have a new PSU that I will be installing next week. Corsair RMX850

wingman99

Without overclocking everything is 100% stable. It is an old card, I have a new PSU that I will be installing next week. Corsair RMX850

Then the processor overclock was not stable. The video card works with the processor so that is why it had a problem with the graphics.

OP
N

nwbobby

Registered
I am pretty new to overclocking, so if it is 100% stable with no gpu, then when I add the gpu to the equation, what should my next step be to try and get it stable?

OP
N

nwbobby

Registered
Not 100%, it will occasionally restart itself if I do a prime95 test with avx. Will also fail and restart itself on the prime95 benchmark test.

That's what points me to gpu or psu

wingman99

Not 100%, it will occasionally restart itself if I do a prime95 test with avx. Will also fail and restart itself on the prime95 benchmark test.

That's what points me to gpu or psu

I wonder if the PC is restarting do to the CPU overheating, what is the CPU temperature when running prime95 with AVX?

OP
N

nwbobby

Registered
I thought the same thing but it never sees over 70c, that's why I am stumped.

AIO pump on extreme and fans on custom settings per temp

wingman99

Have you tried setting the BIOS to default to test and see if the memory overclocking was restarting the PC when prime 95 AVX is running? So set your BIOS to default and run prime95 AVX.

OP
N

nwbobby

Registered
Have you tried setting the BIOS to default to test and see if the memory overclocking was restarting the PC when prime 95 AVX is running? So set your BIOS to default and run prime95 AVX.

So I just got home, put everything back to stock in BIOS. No XMP profile. Ran prime95 bench and did not instant restart. Tried OCCT on 3d and instantly reset.

OP
N

nwbobby

Registered

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.4.36
--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 10/3/2020 6:00:30 PM

----------------------------------------------
-- Testing
CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.
CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.
CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.
CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.
CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.
CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.
CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.
CPU 1 - Math - Pass.
CPU 1 - GPUStressW - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPUFreq - Pass.

IPDT64 Passed
--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.4.36
--- IPDT64 - End Time: 10/3/2020 6:04:19 PM

PASS

Also ran this test with overclock and passed. im STUMPED!

Last edited: