• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Intel i7 6700K @4800 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aloprado

Hi guys

I would like your help to see if I can achieve the stable 4800 MHz on my intel i7 6700K. I do not know how to configure the BIOS properly, so if they can send print screen, it would help me a lot.

My system:

CPU: i7 6700K Delided with Bitspower IHS Copper (BP-OCCIHS-SL)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) BIOS F22m
Cooler: Water Cooler Custom (Radiator 360mm, 240mm and 140mm)
RAM: 4x8 GB G Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16-8GTZB 3200MHz (16-18-18-38 @ 1600 MHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Asus ROG Strix
Case: Cooler Master Stryker SE
PSU: Corsair AX860i Plus Platinum
Storage: SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe

Last edited:
Just increase the multiplier a little at a time. When the stress test fails increase the core voltage 40mv at a time up to 1.4v or 90c temperature whichever comes first. The Rule: Maximize frequency and minimize voltage so the system remains stable.

Just increase the multiplier a little at a time. When the stress test fails increase the core voltage 40mv at a time up to 1.4v or 90c temperature whichever comes first. The Rule: Maximize frequency and minimize voltage so the system remains stable.

1.41v VCore presented blue screen on x264 test. Temperature is ok. I'm testing with 1.43v now and 4500MHz Cache frequecy.

Keep in mind that you may not have a chip capable of a 4.8 ghz stable overclock. Some of those 6700k's would go that high but not all. There is variation in the silicon quality and other manufacturing variables during production.

You also may find that keeping the cache frequency at stock may help.

Manual the cache to 4ghz (auto sometimes raises it close/match to what you're doing) and try again, when you get it stable start raising cache. ~200mhz below OC is the normal sweet spot.

My voltage adventures were documented here (mostly) https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/788425-Vcore-won-t-drop-when-core-speed-drops and here https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-6700k-4-7-GHz-(so-far)?p=8055824#post8055824

I had to raise the power limits on my board, but that seems uncommon so take that for what it's worth. BIOS screenshot of the changes I referred to:

View attachment 205622

Can you send me your settings from the other screens in the BIOS?

It's not just plug and play, where you can just copy someone's settings. It is recommended to have some sort of understanding before changing voltages, what they do. Also, as mentioned earlier, you may not even reach said frequency due to silicone variance. His voltages may work on his system, and not yours..

Back