• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Intel Q9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeriderz

Registered
[SOLVED] Overclock Intel Q9650

Hello

I have a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard (GeForce 9400 chipset) with the latest BIOS (F4) with an Intel Q9650 processor with 8 Gb RAM (800 Mhz) and HD7870 that I want to overclock.
Fan => Cooler Master Hyper 212X
PSU => Corsair VS450 - 80+
Memory details: NANYA 2Go DDR2 PC2-6400U 800Mhz 2Rx8 CL6 NT2GT64U8HD0BY-AD
4*2 Gb PC2-6400
CAS tcl 6
trcd 6
trp 6
tras 18
cmd 2T
trrd 3
trc 24
twr 6
twtr 12
tref 7,6 uS

I'm not looking for the ultimate overclock, just a boost for a modest setup for my son.

Here is a screen of my BIOS (from the manual):

1547446623-2019-01-14-07-12-28.jpg

Details from BIOS:

FSB - Memory Clock Mode
  • Auto : BIOS will automatically set the FSB-Memory clock mode. (Default)
  • Linked : Allows you to set FSB speed manually; the memory speed changes proportionally along with the FSB speed.
  • Unlinked : Allows you to set FSB speed and memory speed individually.

FSB - Memory Ratio
This item is configurable only if the FSB-Memory Clock Mode option is set to Linked.
  • Auto: BIOS will automatically set the FSB-Memory ratio. (Default)
  • Sync Mode: Sets FSB-Memory ratio synchronously.

FSB (QDR), MHz
Allows you to manually set the CPU host frequency. The adjustable range is from 400 MHz to 2500 MHz.
This item is configurable only if the FSB-Memory Clock Mode item is set to Linked or Unlinked.

DDR2 Voltage Control
Allows you to set memory voltage.
  • Normal Supplies the memory voltage as required. (Default)
  • +0.1V ~ +0.7V Increases memory voltage by 0.1V to 0.7V at 0.1V increment.

FSB Voltage Control
Allows you to set the Front Side Bus voltage.
  • Normal Supplies the FSB voltage as required. (Default)
  • +0.1V ~ +0.3V Increases FSB voltage by 0.1V to 0.3V at 0.1V increment.

Chipset Voltage Control
Allows you to set the voltage of the chipset.
  • Normal Supplies the chipset voltage as required. (Default)
  • +0.1V ~ +0.2V Increases chipset voltage by 0.1V or 0.2V.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!

You will want to focus on your FSB speed in order to overclock the Q9650, as it has a locked multiplier.

I recommend downloading CPUz and AIDA64 as both are good tools for dialing in your overclocked system.

Might I also recommend Core Temp for real-time temperature monitoring. A must have to keep a close eye on temps.

With a Hyper 212 you should be able to achieve 4Ghz or close to that.

I have a ThermalRight Ultra 120 cooling my Q9650 and was able to achieve 4.3Ghz for 24/7 use. The Ultra 120 is slighly better than the Hyper 212, but you should be in the ballpark...

13080readspeed.png

Last edited:
That motherboard looks to have rather weak vrm power supply design. I don't think I'd be looking to push to big an overclock on that unit.

gigabyte_01_01[1].jpg

Indeed! I wouldn't go much more than a 10 percent overclock since power delivery on that mainboard is in question. A 10 % overclock would put you right about 3.3Ghz, a modest boost for your son's system. You will want to aim for about a 366Mhz FSB, using your 9x multiplier that would net you 3.294Ghz. That would put your right about 105-110W TDP, hopefully low enough for your Hyper 212 and mainboard to cope with power demands.

This was run for 9 mins...seems ok so far! But it is stock speeds.....

A guide was linked earlier. Did you have a chance to look at it and try overclocking or have questions?? I dont have any advice for a stock system. Follow that guide. :)

Hi
I've followed the tutorial, but very complex for me. Any advise with FSB, voltage and memory settings ?
Thanks

Hi
I've followed the tutorial, but very complex for me. Any advise with FSB, voltage and memory settings ?
Thanks
Where are you at right now? Have you tried for the 366Mhz FSB suggestion? This would put you right about 3.3Ghz and you will need something like 1.3-1.35 volts on the CPU.

Bad news... I just can modify :
- FSB memory clock module: auto / linked / unlinked
- FSB (QDR) 1333
- MEM (DDR) 799

Nowhere a field with the actual 333 Mhz settings...
So I set 1366 in the FSB memory settings, and CPUID I have
- 3075 Ghz
- 9x coeff
- bus speed 341.67
- rated fsb 1366.53

"FSB (QDR), MHz
Allows you to manually set the CPU host frequency. The adjustable range is from 400 MHz to 2500 MHz.
This item is configurable only if the FSB-Memory Clock Mode item is set to Linked or Unlinked."

I'm not familiar with your motherboard's BIOS but you need to modify the above setting. Maybe take a picture of your BIOS settings and post it here.

You want to keep your memory on the lowest speed possible while we dial in your CPU FSB.

You may also need to increase your NB voltage slightly as you raise your FSB speed, and that may be listed as "Chipset Voltage Control"

EDIT: Please download and install CPUz. Then post up a screeshot of your CPU and memory tabs.

Last edited:
To overclock, you need to set your 'FSB (QDR), MHz' option. Since the FSB is quad pumped this will be 4X actual ----> so for a 366Mhz FSB you need to use a setting of 1,464Mhz.

FSB.PNG

Everything seems to be ok :)

Let's go ahead ? ;-)

cap3.png
Good! That is what we want. Now post up a shot of the memory tab? I'm curious to see what it's running at?
You will want to torture test the computer before proceeding. I recommend downloading AIDA64 and running the built in stability test for a minimum of 15 minutes...

If it crashes be prepared to increase core voltage slightly. Go up in small increments. Stock you are at 1.232v and maximum safe voltage for that chip is ~ 1.45v
-You may also need to increase FSB voltage and Chipset voltage as well.

Did you download core temp for real time temp monitoring? Its freeware.

EDIT: TEMPS LOOK GOOD SO FAR!!

You'll want to keep your CPU speed limited to ~ 3.4Ghz. This is because your motherboard has relatively weak power delivery system. Only a 3 + 1 power phase means we don't want to push it too hard.

1) Increase your FSB in small increments... for 3.4Ghz that would mean no more than about 1512 Mhz on the FSB setting. (This is about as far as I would push it)

2) Keep a close eye on temps and torture test after each change you make to assure stability. Core voltage needs to be about 1.35-1.4 (approx.) for 3.4Ghz

Next step to go to 1600 Mhz (400 Mhz FSB) ?
I would limit your overclock to 1512Mhz on FSB. This is because your motherboard has only a 3+1 power phase and the Q9650 is a power hungry chip when pushed. So my advice is that you set a limit at 3.4Ghz and call it good. That will offer a modest boost in performance.

Okay, so I tried 1512 with 1.35V and 1.40V and I got blue screen (STOP 0x0000001E) or reset.... Any idea ? Need to increase FSB voltage and Chipset voltage ?
But the FSB settings at 1462 is okay with auto voltage CPU

Last edited:
Okay, so I tried 1512 with 1.35V and 1.40V and I got blue screen (STOP 0x0000001E) or reset.... Any idea ? Need to increase FSB voltage and Chipset voltage ?
But the FSB settings at 1462 is okay with auto voltage CPU
Yes you probably need to increase FSB and chipset voltage to run at 1512 since you already added vcore and it was a no go. If I were you I would call it good at 1462Mhz, you'll still get a decent boost from just that.

You can run the benchmark suite within AIDA64 to test before and after. Kinda fun to see what your overclock equates to in real world performance.

Back