• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock mystery (Q6700)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NismoZX

I have been trying to get my PC at a decent OC state for a few weeks now. I read most of the forums and feel i have a general understanding of what I am doing. With that said, during my trial and error bumping I have hit a snag. I had my q6700 running at 400mhz x8 to have a 1:1 ratio to ram at 3.4ghz. i had my voltage at 1.4 and everything ran smooth for the most part, untill during a prime test i got an error and my temps hit 70c at full load, so i decided to back her down a little. When i went to a 333 x10 to get 3.33ghz and dropped voltage to 1.38. my ram was still set in bios to run 1:1 from gigabytes 2.4 ram multiplier. Now when i run cpuid it read stock cpu FSB at 266x10 but reads my ram at 320fsb at a 5:6 ratio. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have tried multiple differnet OC settings in Bios and can not cure this issue. It will show the current multiplier i have set in bios whether its 10 or 8 but the CPU FSB still reads 266. for reference i have a
System:
gigabyte ga-p35c-ds3r mobo
Intel Q6700 2.66
4x 1GB OCZ DDR2 OCZ ram pc2 6400 2- sli ready 2- Gold
600W Thermaltake PSU
EVGA 9800GTX+ GPU
more fans then is probably needed
2x DVDrw drive
320 GB HD @7200

Thanks, I will try that tonight. I was going to pull the CMOS battery before but if loading the optimal settings does the trick that would be way easier.

Cleared the CMOS and now have it running at 333fsb at 10x. I have set the RAM Settings in Bios to 2.4 to reach the desired 1:1 ratio at 800mhz but when CPUiD is running it has it reading a 5:6 ratio. Reaading a ram fsb of 399. When I run prime95 worker 3 fails almost immediately, should I continue prime even with 1 core not taking a load? And what should my next course of action be?

399mhz on ram is the same as ddr2-800 its double data rate so when your ram is reading 400 in cpuz with a 1-1 ratio its running the correct speeds

@ Nismo... You're confusing the FSB : DRAM ratios. A 1:1 FSB : DRAM ratio at a FSB of 333MHz = DDR2-667, while the same divider at a FSB of 400MHz = DDR2-800. The BIOS reads the SPD of the modules and auto-sets the FSB : DRAM ratio at 5:6 (2.4 system memory multiplier) on the 333 "B" strap when at a FSB of 333MHz, in order to run the modules at their rated DDR2-800 (333 x 6 / 5 x 2 = DDR2-800). And there's no reason to continue running Prime once a worker has stopped. Boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive, and check the RAM for stability at DDR2-800 w/ the rated timings and voltage manually set.

Thanks for the responses, I'm a little confused though what I am doing incorrectly. Are you saying I should leave the bios on auto for the ram to run 1:1 even on a 333fsb and not set the 2.4 multiplier?
Also I am running 2 different sets of ram, as noted in the OP, they are rated different as well one is 4-4-4-15 at 2.1 I believe and the other is 5-5-5-15 at 1.9, is there a special formula for setting them?

Last edited:
No, leave the divider at 5:6 (2.4 DRAM multiplier) = DDR2-800 at a FSB of 333MHz. And remove one of the 2 x 1GB kits, and adjust the timings and voltage to match those of the remaining modules. Then boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive.

Set bios to 400mhz x8 at 1.4 volts, bumped ram voltage a tad and Passed memtest and still running strong on prime95 after an hour so far, max temp is 69c. I was looking at the system properties and it reads q6700 @2.66 4.00mhz... Is it reading the stock multiplier with my modified FSB set? Is this common?

Back