• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock q9550 need advices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wami

hi all, I'm a newbie in overclocking. This is my first time overclock my CPU soo excited about it..I need some expert's advices before I go too crazy:D I overclocked my q9550 to 3.4ghz and ran stress test by using occt for two hours without an error. My max temp is 50 degree C. Is it ok for me to push it up a little bit more? Also do I need to test with prime95 for 24h to make sure my system is stable?
my spec:
Asus P5Q pro
750W Cosair PSU
Corsair 4G of DDR2-6400 @ 800Mhz
Vcc= 1.11875 V
CPU PLL=1.54 V
FSB termination= 1.20 V
Dram= 1.94 V
NB brigde= 1.2 V
SB brigde= 1.1 V

Last edited:
You can push your chip a lot harder. 45nm are pretty durable, well at least compared to 32nm counterparts. And 50C max temp is a great max temp. Do us a favor, though... Run Prime95 for a while and give us temps that way. The Tcase Intel lists on their side for the C2Q Q9550 is 71.4C... So it looks like you've got room to play with.

What cooler do you have?
What is your vCore? THat is the only one you have no listed...
What are you using to monitor temps? Use RealTemp or CoreTemp if you aren't already.

As for running Prime95, 24hours is not necessary by my standard. Everyone is different. I run LinX for 2 hours and Prime95 for 12 hours (both must have no errors during tests) to deem them completely stable.
That board is a hell of a board and can push S775 chips pretty hard. I've had one myself and loved it.

Keep pushing :thup:

Last edited:
thanks bennocolus, I will let it run with prime95 for 12h from now then I will post the temp. Anyway, I use corsair H50 for my cooler, my Vcore=1.11875 V, during the test i used RealTemp.

thanks bennocolus, I will let it run with prime95 for 12h from now then I will post the temp. Anyway, I use corsair H50 for my cooler, my Vcore=1.11875 V, during the test i used RealTemp.

Good vcore, solid cooler for this gen of chip, and A+ on using RealTemp. :D

Keep pushing if you want to go higher. What I would do to find a nice OC for your chip, is push 10 or so FSB at a time until you reach where you want to be. But, with each raise in FSB run Prime95 for 10-20 minutes to see if it's somewhat stable. Adjust vcore as needed.

*EDIT*: Just keep raising the FSB until you can no longer get to the Windows desktop. And then adjust the vcore.
You could possibly get 4.0GHz out of that chip, if the chip has it in it, that is... ;)

All along the way make sure your temps are in check as well.

Post back with any issues. Everyone around here is happy to help.

Last edited:
ok i after running prime95 for 12h without error. i think my system is stable so far. I checked the temp on each core, one of the core goes up to 57 degree during test and the other three stay between 51-53. Do i need to lower my vcore more to get the temp going down?
To push it up to 4.0Ghz if i lucky, do i need to buy another ram because my ram FSB is only 800Mhz?

ok i after running prime95 for 12h without error. i think my system is stable so far. I checked the temp on each core, one of the core goes up to 57 degree during test and the other three stay between 51-53. Do i need to lower my vcore more to get the temp going down?
To push it up to 4.0Ghz if i lucky, do i need to buy another ram because my ram FSB is only 800Mhz?
I have my q9550 @ 3.5Ghz this @ 1.285v and 8.5 multi x 412fsb My memory is ddr3 @ 1648mhz, if I go one notch up it doesnt post. I can drop the memory down to DDR3 1333, so that should give me more overhead to OC the proc. You should problably be able to do the same, lower the mem multi and increase FSB.

Back