• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mn4az

Registered
Hopefully I am posting this in the correct forum as I am a first time poster/oc'r. My apologies if it's not....

Originally I was planning on building an AMD 2500+ Barton, but through all the reading I have done it appears the Intel 2.6c is going to perform better for video editing. So I will be going with the Intel solution and try to do a modest overclock (2.6c to 3.0 or 3.2) with the following:

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
Corsair TWINX512-3200C2PT
Antec Sonata with option front 120mm fan and included 380W PSU.

Getting to the point... I noticed while reading through many of the posts that people if they are trying to achieve a modest OC (2.6 OC to 3.2-ish) just use the stock Intel HSF while others purchase other HSF to replace the Intel stock HSF.

My 2 questions:

Is it necessary to spend the ~$40 on a 3rd party HSF (Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu) or could I just use the stock Intel HSF? I am already pushing the envelope of my budget.

There's lots of people VERY happy with the 2.4c M0. Should I try and purchase one of those from ZZF or stick with the 2.6c (again just doing a modest OC)?

TIA

Mr. $T$

Most of the 2.4c processors are reject 3.2EE that failed the test so they are remarked as M0 stepping 2.4c P4 with the 2MB L3 cache disabled. usally they overclock quite well. The stock P4 heatsink is good however If you want to put a good heavy overclock on the processor you should get a better heatsink, the Zalman you want to get is better then stock however is not ment to be a big preforming heatsink it was build to be quiet, If you want a good cooling heatsink Thermalright and Swiftech are IMHO the best.

OP
M

mn4az

Registered
What would you consider a "good heavy overclock" on a 2.4c? or 2.6c for that matter....

OP
M

mn4az

Registered
So would you go with the 2.4c or 2.6c knowing that I only am tring to reach abou 3.0 - 3.2Ghz?