• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jasoncasareno23

AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core Processor
8GB DDR3 system memory
ATI Radeon Integrated Graphics
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

This is some info on the outside of my pc. Zero budget. Can I overclock?

I will provide more information if needed. However I might need help getting the info. I'm trying to play Far Cry 3 on my computer however with a 640x480 resolution and all low settings I can barely play the game with 8-10 fps.

Is this a store bought system and if so what brand and model number? If this is a home built system can you pull the details about the motherboard model for us to better help.

In either case it appears that the main driving factor for the poor performance is the use of integrated graphics. To really play modern games you need a discrete gpu to handle the graphics instead of the onboard graphics.

If it has integrated graphics then I would guess it is a mass produced store bought computer since the Phenom II series did not have an IGP and neither did aftermarket motherboards for that CPU series. Dell, HP. Lenovo or whoever put a video chip on an OEM motherboard. They surely would not add in a discrete video card on a low end system like that.

Last edited:
Isn't the PII 8xx series socket AM4? I think they were just APUs with the IGP disabled.

Phenom II was AM3. AM 2+ was the Phenom, AM2 was Athlon. And the ever popular AM3+ was Bulldozer. All the same socket (sort of), at least as far as backwards compatibility. My Phenom works fine in AM3+, as do my Athlons.

Even if that thing can overclock, it wont make games playable. A discrete gpu would be your best bet....but, you have $0.

There used to be Catalyst drivers (13.xx) that allowed an OC of the old HD 4xxx integrated graphics (provided you don't have the awful Nvidia chipset), but as I recall it did absolutely nothing for performance. MSI's Afterburner did, too, but you had to mod the config. file without some bizarre EULA to get the voltage up, And still no real performance help. World Of Warcraft laughed at me with the HD 4200 integrated graphics. FC3 is going to need a card, and at least a half decent low budget card. Best bet is save your pennies and hope some miner relinquishes a RX 560 or thereabouts.

Phenom II was AM3. AM 2+ was the Phenom, AM2 was Athlon. And the ever popular AM3+ was Bulldozer. All the same socket (sort of), at least as far as backwards compatibility. My Phenom works fine in AM3+, as do my Athlons.

Doing some research, I find you are correct about this CPU. Just thought all the quad core phenom IIs were 9xx. Don't remember any 8xx. The 8xx quads I remember were actually Athlon IIs and socket AM2+ withouth AGP: https://www.cnet.com/products/amd-athlon-ii-x4-860k-3-7-ghz-processor-ad860kxbi44ja/specs/

Back