• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocked fx8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomlintm

hello all i want to overclock my fx8350 to 5ghz and im curious would the noctua nh-d15 keep it in check i also am replacing all my fans in my case with 83cfm airflow fans from nzxt here is a link to them https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V3DG9678

Specs:
CPU-AMD FX-8350
Motherboard-ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
RAM-G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600
GPU-Powercolor RX580 8gb Golden Sample
Case-CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5
Storage-Samsung 120GB SSD 840 Series,WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W
Display(s)-3x AOC 2269WM 22in
Cooling-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/with 120 mm
Keyboard-Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse-Redragon M601 CEN

Short answer is no, the cooler a and motherboard aren't going to get you there. I would aim for 4.7 ish and be happy with that. A lot of your top end will depend o the CPU as well some need high voltage just for 4.5 so it's kind of hit and miss.

Short answer is no, the cooler a and motherboard aren't going to get you there. I would aim for 4.7 ish and be happy with that. A lot of your top end will depend o the CPU as well some need high voltage just for 4.5 so it's kind of hit and miss.

i have already hit [email protected] with the evo 212 had to use a fan behind the socket to keep it cooler with out throttleing on ibx avx

Yes but that board is questionable. I have seen someone run one on that board for ~ 3 months then the VRM toasted the chokes actually changed colour from grey/silver to a brownish colour. I don't trust the motherboard as far as I can throw it.
It was the new 970 killer but still, Asrock is known for their shady work when it comes to VRM on AMD I did find the pic though
c1d5864c_0915152003.jpeg

Last edited:
i have already hit [email protected] with the evo 212 had to use a fan behind the socket to keep it cooler with out throttleing on ibx avx

My "slightly better then average" 8370 with a NH-D15 (didn't need fan over the VRM) did 4.7ghz 1.44v ~55c with 2 hours of Prime95, with a Hyper 212 EVO he does 4.5ghz 1.368v ~55c. That doesn't smell like a stable overclock... at all...

Depends on the level he was running IBT. It will kick an FX a lot harder than P95 if run on very high

5Ghz..... 100% rock solid stable. You are talking strictly a real Google custom waterloop...... 120X3 or better depending on the radiator you use. Never mind doing the issues with the motherboard you have.

My new right is almost ready ....... if your really wanting 5Ghz keep an eye out in the classifieds lots of parts soon to be added.

Depends on the level he was running IBT. It will kick an FX a lot harder than P95 if run on very high

About the same as Small FFT, which is the temps i reported (Blend was a couple degrees lower). Well the crashes will speak for themselves sadly, IBT on normal/high wasn't even stable enough for me to game :(

@op : get a decent motherboard like a Crosshair V Formula-Z or a Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and at least 3x120mm water cooling and you MAYBE might get your wish depending on how good the CPU is, but from what you tell us don't expect miracles... or switch to Ryzen ;)

I wouldn't spend more money on this platform. It's already 2 generations behind. Overclock it til it dies then buy the next best thing. (Kidding on the killing it stuff).

Yes but that board is questionable. I have seen someone run one on that board for ~ 3 months then the VRM toasted the chokes actually changed colour from grey/silver to a brownish colour. I don't trust the motherboard as far as I can throw it.
It was the new 970 killer but still, Asrock is known for their shady work when it comes to VRM on AMD I did find the pic though
View attachment 191479

from what i have read the 990fx serier boards are alot better for overclocking the 970 plus the 970 board have always had trouble keeping the fx8350 in cage lol so to speak

My "slightly better then average" 8370 with a NH-D15 (didn't need fan over the VRM) did 4.7ghz 1.44v ~55c with 2 hours of Prime95, with a Hyper 212 EVO he does 4.5ghz 1.368v ~55c. That doesn't smell like a stable overclock... at all...

it was very stable not one freeze up or BSOD

i ran ibt avx at very high for 15 straight mins with out a issues as long as that fan behind the socket was there :p

About the same as Small FFT, which is the temps i reported (Blend was a couple degrees lower). Well the crashes will speak for themselves sadly, IBT on normal/high wasn't even stable enough for me to game :(

oh ya after i heard about ibt avx i never used p95 again b/c it was so much easyer to use :D

@OP : get a decent motherboard like a Crosshair V Formula-Z or a Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and at least 3x120mm water cooling and you MAYBE might get your wish depending on how good the CPU is, but from what you tell us don't expect miracles... or switch to Ryzen ;)

i have wanted to get both them board but there so dang expenive i could only get the board i have now :(

I wouldn't spend more money on this platform. It's already 2 generations behind. Overclock it til it dies then buy the next best thing. (Kidding on the killing it stuff).
i love my cpu i would never kill it lol plus thats why i want to over clocked it im sure i can out do the 9590 with it :p

from what i have read the 990fx serier boards are alot better for overclocking the 970 plus the 970 board have always had trouble keeping the fx8350 in cage lol so to speak

i have wanted to get both them board but there so dang expenive i could only get the board i have now :(

i love my cpu i would never kill it lol plus thats why i want to over clocked it im sure i can out do the 9590 with it :p

A quality 990FX board will stand a chance of delivering what you want - The one you have isn't known for being reliable.
I've always thought of that series as having the names "Fatality" and "Killer" for good reason and it's not a performance-based thought here.

Since you can't raise the $$ for a better board you've got what you've got and compared to the likes of a CHV-Z it just won't cut it - Best settle for 4.7 and let it ride or you will have the board eventually live up to it's moniker (Killer) when it takes out the CPU while committing seppuku to itself and probrably all else Mortal Kombat style (Fatality).

I know you want to believe it can do it over the long haul but If you want 5.0 reliably then you'll have to pony up for something more capable.

A quality 990FX board will stand a chance of delivering what you want - The one you have isn't known for being reliable.
I've always thought of that series as having the names "Fatality" and "Killer" for good reason and it's not a performance-based thought here.

Since you can't raise the $$ for a better board you've got what you've got and compared to the likes of a CHV-Z it just won't cut it - Best settle for 4.7 and let it ride or you will have the board eventually live up to it's moniker (Killer) when it takes out the CPU while committing seppuku to itself and probrably all else Mortal Kombat style (Fatality).

I know you want to believe it can do it over the long haul but If you want 5.0 reliably then you'll have to pony up for something more capable.

well if i have to get a new board i would go for the Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 b/c the CHV-Z is out of stock on newegg but the CHV-Z would be my first choice b/c of its color scheme

and on amazon the CHV-Z is going for 500-45K the board isent worth that much imho

Maybe add to that list the M5A99FX PRO R2.0, its only 6+2 but always heard good things about it ? I have its baby brother M5A97 EVO R2.0 which also had no issues running my 8370 4.7ghz.

Maybe add to that list the M5A99FX PRO R2.0, its only 6+2 but always heard good things about it ? I have its baby brother M5A97 EVO R2.0 which also had no issues running my 8370 4.7ghz.

well if i have to pony up like the guy said i might as well get the sabertooth maybe that board will get me a 100% stable overclock at 5ghz on air hey if i can do it on air it would be a achievment

I wish you the best of luck with that, truly. But a stable 5Ghz on air with that cpu is pretty much a pipe dream. GL

Not for a 5Ghz OC........ just not going to happen.

Not for a 5Ghz OC........ just not going to happen.

i was talking to someone on another forum about it they said going from 4.5-4.7 to 5ghz wouldent gain you much FPS in games at all so now im looking for the sweetspot of my fx 8350 to get the most out of it and get the best fps from it

Between 4.5ghz and 4.7ghz on my 8370 there's a definitive speed/smoothness bump (if that makes any sense) both in Windows and games, above that it's faster but not so noticeable even though i went all the way to 5ghz. It will depend on how good your CPU is more then anything i suppose ?

Between 4.5ghz and 4.7ghz on my 8370 there's a definitive speed/smoothness bump (if that makes any sense) both in Windows and games, above that it's faster but not so noticeable even though i went all the way to 5ghz. It will depend on how good your CPU is more then anything i suppose ?

well how much fps did you gain from 4.7 to 5ghz

Back