• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 2500k past 4.7 ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamthepolak

Hey guys, so ive been overclocking my rig the past 2 weeks and been trying to get past the 5.0 ghz mark with no luck. so for now im stopping at 4.7 @ 1.45 v since its where stability is fine and temps are acceptable while running prime 95 (max 84), my rooms pretty warm today so my little water cooling loop isnt working its best. im going to be upgrading to a 3770k and a new 32 gb g.skill 1600 kit after christmas and i was to looking to squeeze some most juice out of these before i sell it a friend. meaning i dont want to fry it but ive been pushing the vcore pretty far, even got some voltage warnings on boot since i was @ 1.540 v, i know stupid but i was going for a max push of 5.1 ghz. Here's my current build and settings

CPU: i-5 2500k @ 4.7 ghz (47 x 100 mhz) w/ 1.450 Vcore
CPU Cooling: Corsair H60 - Push/ Pull 2x Corsair SP120 fans
Mobo: Asus maximus IV gene-z (updated bios)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2 x 4gb) @ 666 MHZ [email protected] V (want to get this up to the 800 MHZ it should be able to handle... and then try to push it some more), 2 gb of this is running and a RAMDISK for my os temp files
GPU: XFX 6950 (no OC) 840 mhz core, 1325 mhz memory 2 gb, with Accelero Xtreme PLUS II
SSD 1 (OS/ Programs) - OCZ Vertex 4 120 gb ssd
SSD 2 (games) - OCZ Vertex 3 128 gb ssd
HDD: 2 TB western digital hdd
ODD: Asus blu ray burner
PSU: Corsair 750TX V2
Case: CoolerMaster Haf X

im thinking if i replaced the thermal paste i can get a few more degrees out of it since when i put this together i forgot to order some better paste and just used wat the h60 came with, stuffs probably all crusty now. ill be posting some screen shots of my bios so you guys can see those settings too. im willing to play around with the cpu and ram to push out more power

I would recommend that if you're selling this to a friend, don't push it so hard. The risk is heavily outweighing the minimal gain at this point. The extra 0.1 GHz isn't going to boost your performance in anything but benchmarks, so unless you're just doing it for that reason and will be turning down the volts when you sell, I wouldn't bother pushing further.

That being said, 4.7 at that high of a voltage seems a bit low. Let us know those bios settings when you get them and I would think a reapplication of thermal paste could do you some good.

AI OC Tuner - manual
Blck - 100
Turbo ratio - all cores
Multiplier - 47
Internal PLL overvtage - enabled
Memory frequency - auto
Performance enchance - enable
Xtreme tweak - enable
Igp Max - auto
Vcore - 1.450

Speed spectrum - disabled
Speed step - enable
Turbo mode - enable
Maximu power - enabled

Vcore pwm mode - t probe
Core mos volt control - auto
Vcore load line calibration - 75%
Vcore switch frequency - manual
Fixed frequency - 550 MHz
Vcore phase control - extreme
Vcore over current protection - 150%

Limited CPU max - disabled
Execute disable bit - enable
Speed step tech - enable
Turbo - enable
C1, C3, C6 - enable
Virtualization - disabled

You can't turn off the iGPU. You can only bypass it buy setting default GPU clock to PCIe. Turn you overclock down to 4.5GHz. It is only using 1.275v and this is within safe voltage parameters. 4.5GHz is just as fast as 4.7GHz and with the lower voltage needed your friend will have a real high-end CPU for years to come.:drool:

You can disable the iGPU on some boards/bios.

Though 4.7GHz and 1.45v is fine assuming temps are in order, I would also reel that back to 4.5GHz and 1.27v or w/e.

ive got it sitting stable at 4.5GHz w/ 1.355 vcore.

I was hoping to squeeze more out of it but guess ill have to wait for the new cpu and custom watercooling loop to come in to push past the 5.0 ghz mark

not doing it for a 24/7 run, i want to do a 12 hour prime run to just be able to see its stable, im monitoring temps during this all

not doing it for a 24/7 run, i want to do a 12 hour prime run to just be able to see its stable, im monitoring temps during this all

Some chips just might not be able to do what you want with them.. I feel like your voltage to frequency was edging a bit on the high side, but that could just be me. Really, beyond that 4.5-4.6~ range, you're on your own to find exactly what settings fit your chip and its power needs. Godspeed, don't fry it :p

Some chips just might not be able to do what you want with them.. I feel like your voltage to frequency was edging a bit on the high side, but that could just be me. Really, beyond that 4.5-4.6~ range, you're on your own to find exactly what settings fit your chip and its power needs. Godspeed, don't fry it :p

ill be playing with this a bunch after my finals are done next week. hopefully can get to 5 but it may just not be the golden chip i wanted :(

Back