• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 4670k on Asus Z97-A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doveman

I've just got a 4670k and Asus Z97-A. I've disabled ASUS MultiCore Enhancement and CPU Spread Spectrum (there's also a VRM Spread Spectrum under DIGI+ VRM, should I disable that as well?). My 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix which is rated [email protected] won't boot at that at the moment, so I've set it to [email protected] and will worry about that once I get the rest sorted.

Vcore and Cache voltage to 1.25v manual, CPU and Cache Multipliers to 46: booted to the BIOS but hung at the Windows 8 boot screen

Dropped both Multipliers to 45:
booted to Windows but I got an error loading Maxxmemm Preview '03780 Mbytes is not a valid integer value' (it also couldn't show the NB/Cache Freq. and I couldn't start the Benchmark) and then locked up when I started Aida64 Stability Test.

Dropped both Multipliers to 44:
same thing happened with Maxxmemm and Aida64.

Dropped Cache multi to 35:
stable with Aida64, albeit after 5 minutes core temps are 71 (core 3), 74 (core 2) and 80 (core 1 and 2). I currently have the stock fan on the Hyper 212 Evo, the two stock case fans on the NZXT Source 530, one rear and one top exhaust. I'm going to remove the top fan and seal the top off, replace the other two fans with quieter Scythe ones and put an intake on the front but I'm not sure whether that will reduce temps or just reduce noise and increase temps.

Raised Cache Multiplier to 38 (default) and dropped both Core and Cache voltage to 1.225v:
stable and temperatures about 5-10c lower.

So I'm just wondering where I could take it now. I'm not interested in an extra 100Mhz if it will come at the cost of much higher voltage and temperatures but if I can raise the CPU, Cache or both maybe 200Mhz whilst avoiding those , that would be great.

I'd also like to get my RAM working at least at the specced 1600Mhz, [email protected], once I've finished with the rest. I play a lot of ArmA3 and it's been shown that it's heavily affected by RAM speed, so the faster I can push it the better, although maybe I'll be better off keeping it at a lower Mhz but tighter timings?

See if it's stable using the 4.5GHz auto-tuner preset in Ai Suite (45x for 1-2 core loads and 44x with 3-4 cores engaged). As far as running your RAM at the modules rated DDR3-1600, just enable the DDR3-1600 XMP profile (normally Profile #1).

See if it's stable using the 4.5GHz auto-tuner preset in Ai Suite (45x for 1-2 core loads and 44x with 3-4 cores engaged). As far as running your RAM at the modules rated DDR3-1600, just enable the DDR3-1600 XMP profile (normally Profile #1).

I can't stand AI-Suite. Best this is done via bios if testing in AI suite works out well enough.

I don't like using it either, but my point was to test a 4.5GHz baseline using Ai Suite, then make manual micro-adjustments as necessary if unstable at the preset settings.

Last edited:

Thanks, I would but I can't even get DIP5, which I believe is the part of AI Suite 3 that does the overclocking, fan tuning, etc, to install. All the other components of AI Suite install fine but DIP5 shows Installed but is nowhere to be seen after rebooting and the installer shows None instead of Installed again!

I did originally try setting the RAM to DDR3-1600 but it wouldn't even boot to the BIOS then, so it seems to need some special tweaking to get there.

Asus Z97-A, 4670k, Hyper 212 EVO HSF, 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport [email protected], Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Corsair CX750M PSU, NZXT Source 530 case.

That's it at the moment.

I believe the Ai Suite will not install C/D.

Then back to what Shrimpy said just do it in the BIOS.

I also wouldn't make too many changes at once, leave the Cache multiplier on auto, then set the Cpu Multiplier. Have you read the Haswell Ocing guide in the Intel sticky section?

I believe the Ai Suite will not install C/D.

Then back to what Shrimpy said just do it in the BIOS.

I also wouldn't make too many changes at once, leave the Cache multiplier on auto, then set the Cpu Multiplier. Have you read the Haswell Ocing guide in the Intel sticky section?

To be precise, it's just the DIP5 component of AI Suite that won't install but that's the part that handles the overclocking.

OK, I'll do it via the BIOS. I did read that guide thanks, it was very helpful being new to Intel as I am.

Doveman, I use the AISuite when benching and such and it's great for that purpose, it also can lead to issues with the system at least it has with my AMD setups. You're much better off using the BIOS to overclock if looking for a daily OC.

Doveman, I use the AISuite when benching and such and it's great for that purpose, it also can lead to issues with the system at least it has with my AMD setups. You're much better off using the BIOS to overclock if looking for a daily OC.

Yeah, I don't mind using the BIOS. It's just handy to be able to tweak things from Windows for testing but no big deal.

Thanks, that is a very detailed review.

I found the BIOS a bit unintuitive as it wasn't obvious when switching to manual settings that you could just type a new multiplier or voltage over the one shown, as the field doesn't highlight or anything when selecting it and I don't think backspace cleared the box either but now I know how it works, it's easy enough.

ai suite tends to get corrupted and will drive you bonkers, on some of the boards it works well but i seem to have never had one of those boards.

ai suite tends to get corrupted and will drive you bonkers, on some of the boards it works well but i seem to have never had one of those boards.
Works well on my Z87 Maximus Vi Hero C/D, the Crosshair V Formula not so much.

Back