• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 266fsb to 333fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tru2ya

This is new to me. I've heard in some of these forums that people have actually overclocked their 266fsb tbreds to 333fsb without any problems, but I only heard it experimented with a 2400+ so far. And its done with the L12 bridges. Someone mentioned comparing a 266fsb chip to a 333fsb, the only difference is an extra bridge is closed. Has anyone ever tried this yet? Man, this would be great if its possible. No need to get the 2600+ - 2800+ if thats the case.

Check these links from tom hardware for the L12 bridges:

2700+/2800+
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q4/021001/xp_2800-01.html

2200+
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020610/

Last edited:

Emericana

Ya i dont know what toms is talking about i have run mine at 205FSB before. All you do is unlock the cpu by connecting the last L3 bridge. Then if you dont want to overclock it at all, put the mult and fsb to 12x166 and you got 2ghz.

OP
T

Tru2ya

i dont mean by unlocking and highering the fsb in the bios, i'm talking about upping the fsb on the chip, so the chip itself is running at a true 333fsb(not just the mboard) like the 2600+, 2700+l, and 2800+. Also i don't have no real proof of this, this is just what someone mentioned on a couple of the forums. No benchmarks or anything to prove it.

Tipycol

I don't think it'd be needed though, unless you get a board that supports a 333fsb but won't let you select it.

OP
T

Tru2ya

o ya i forgot about that. Will my board support a cpu with a fsb of 333mhz? And if so, would it peform just as well as the 2600+ through 2800+'s if it was overclocked at the same frequencies? But i guess I would have to lower the multiplier on the chip with connecting a bridge to get it to boot, unless it will atleast post so i can go into the bios and change it. I'm not sure i'm starting to get confused by this whole fsb thing...lol.

Last edited:

Tipycol

I think your board has the KT333 chipset, so it should support 333fsb (166x2). Now overclocking a chip to the 2600 or 2800 speeds and getting the same performance will depend on the chip. Since those are Tbred B's, their architecture is a little different than Tbred A's or Palominos, so they might perform a little better than a Tbred A or Palomino running at the same speed.

OP
T

Tru2ya

So actually the lower chip can possible perform close or just as good as the 2600+ through 2800+'s overclocked. And that means their won't be as much of a bottleneck when the cpu is running at at 333fsb? This makes me wonder why so many people got excited about the 2700+ and 2800+ supported a 333fsb, if you can simply overclock the fsb on the chip as well to get about the same performance.

Tipycol

Yea I didn't find it that big of a deal. I mean the technology had been out for almost a year already, and many of their XP 1600's already were like 333fsb chips in disguise. Maybe it's a step to even higher fsbs (maybe next year it'll be 400MHz Bartons), and that's why they were happy ;)

OP
T

Tru2ya

I checked a wpuid screenshot of a 2700+/2800+ and the system clock shows about 166mhz. So i guess upping the fsb in the mboard is the same thing. See the reason why i'm still a little skeptical because i think i remember asking this question in the past and someone told me upping the fsb is not the same as the fsb thats on the chip. I guess meaning that the bandwidth is still not increased on the chip. Maybe that guy didnt know what he was talking about.

Last edited: