• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a card directly to freeze?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey.

I'm overclocking my video card. My overclock went straight to a black screen, then "no video input" on my monitor.. Usually theres artifacting and stuff like that first, right?

First I just set it way to high myself - that was my bad.. Then, however, I used ATITool's "find max core" and let it plug its way up. It got to like 550mhz, and then without artifacting or anything just turned straight off.

What is this indicative of? Crappy card? Power issues? Its the first rig in my sig...

martinjon666

perhaps when it gets that high the temps go overboard, it could be shutting itself off to prevent damage. have you done anything to the card? AS5 or ramsinks? aftermarket cooling?

m0tyrider

The Exact same thing happens to me! i dont know why im totally lost its not over heating, because i know my temps, and ive got a ATI Silencer 5 on my card... ive got a Sapphire x800GTO

coustang

Yes, can somebody enlighten us with some info on this problem...I too have this issue. X800gto2 with Zalman/AS5, so it's not really a temperature problem, for me at least. Gets up to about 530 while determaning max core w/ati tool then just goes black and reboots. No artifacts, just black & reboot.

martinjon666

sounds suspiciously like it may be an ATI thing, i have never had an ati card so i don't really know much about them, best of luck guys!

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Hehe, this "issue" has been around for well over a year since the X8xx's first debuted. It's how they all exhibit instability, either freezes, or instant shutoffs. Three of them have passed through my hands, ATiTool does the same on all of them, 800's and 850's. It's perfectly typical, but makes overclocking a little tricky as you have no warning signs as to when things are going awry. Usually you'll find stability around 20MHz lower than the speeds at which ATiTool crashes at.

OP
P

perfectturmoil

Gautam said:
... Usually you'll find stability around 20MHz lower than the speeds at which ATiTool crashes at.

So.. Stock? :- ]

Yeah even with my arctic cooler, it still does the same thing. But it appears to be perfectly stable RIGHT below that threshold.. its just strange.. I was used to my 9800 pro where you could run right up to artifacting, and even run it WHILE it was artifacting a little.. definatly not good for the hardware.. but it made it was a nice cushion for overclocking.. not like clocked then off..

I kinda figured it was either some saftey thing.. like.. once its gonna artifact, it just turns off to keep things safe..