• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a Geforce3 Ti200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the Undone guy

Registered
I have a GF3 Ti200 from visiontek, i just put on a crystal orb fan and the ram already has heatsinks, my question is...how much can i safely overclock this card? i guess the default is 175mhz clock and 400mhz memory...i dont want to be at risk of burning out my card, but i would like a little extra power. Anyone have any reccomendations?

-Robert Thompson

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Every card is different, try to increase the GPU/MEM slowly, like +5/+5 at a time, and then test it. You can't fry a card that easily by just OCing it, a good indication on reaching your card's limit is Artifacts. If you see some, even a little, your card is telling you he's been pushed too far, and you know its time to bring the GPU/MEM back down a little.

I had mine up to 240/550 before, so some mild OCing isn't a problem for this card:D

willlangford

i have an msi card. i have take my clock to 260, and my ram only does 500, but i think i will do a lot better after i get a 120mm fan to cool it off. good luck with it. i would get some ram sinks from plycon or somewhere else, but i think thiers are the best, and use as epoxy and that will help your ram overclocking.

~Will

Disputant

My highest oc didn't turn out to be my best score, at a certain point it started going down. I wasn't fealing courageous enough to push it until it crashed, but I did stess test it after each increase. My oc is in my sig.

All stock cooling on mine, but that PNY I have came with pretty decent cooling and ram sinks stock.

EDIT: Damn almost forgot, welcome to the forums!

OP
the Undone guy

the Undone guy

Registered
thanks for the warm welcome guys =)

it turns out i had to downgrade my drivers to use the GeForce Tweak utility, so i'm back to good ol detinator 2.9.4.2

i think my system may be bottlenecking my video card, i'm currently running an Athalon 1.0ghz Thunderbird with 768mb of pc133 ram....

I think the overclock utility is working, but here is some 3dmark2001se scores, quite odd if you ask me

first i set my speeds to 195/405 and got a 4774 3dmark score
and so on:

200/410 - 4694
210/420 - 4777
220/420 - 4790
225/425 - 4827
230/430 - 4816

btw my video card came with stock blue heatsinks from Visiontek, and the crystal orb fan seems to keep the sucker really really cool, still not sure how far i can push the GPU as far as clock speed goes. But why is it the higher i take my clock and memory speed the lower the 3dmark gets? I know 3dmark isnt too reliable, but is it my system causing the mark to fluxuate so much?

-the Undone guy

Rushdie

Registered
I think the Visiontek has 4ns mem on it, which should get to at least 500MHz...

I have a Creative Ti200 running @ 225/530. New mem-heatsinks (ThermalTake's), and 2x 80mm fans @12V directly under the card... Perhaps not the best overclocking, especially on the gpu...

The memory seems to be the part that gives most performance when overclocking. Try to get it as high as possible, and then start with the gpu.

OP
the Undone guy

the Undone guy

Registered
well, unfortunatly i work at Best Buy, but that presents me with the oppertunity to get a 2.53 P4 with a motherboard and WindowsXP Pro (full) for only $175 dollars, just gotta wait 2-3 weeks for them to send me my code so i can order =) Then i'll have some DDR and my 3dmark will probably be 3 times what it is now. Yay~

nodsetse

the Undone guy said:
...detinator 2.9.4.2
You should see a nice score increase using the newer 40.72 drivers, and Rivatuner works fine with them. I've got an MSI GF3ti200 64MB, does 246/558, and got about 500 points more after going from 29.42 to 40.72...give 'em a try! ;)

specific

i have the exact same card
currently getting 220core/500mem (ti500 speeds) using 40.72 drivers & coolbits registry hack.
i oc'd through the advanced properties settings, and that's as high as it allows. i doubt that i could get any higher without adding some sinks on the memory, or voltmodding, or it would probably show some artifacts. but i got almost 8500 3dmark2001se scores with my cpu oc'd to 1717.
8118 without the cpu oc.

i'm happy with it:D

OP
the Undone guy

the Undone guy

Registered
i upgraded back to the 40.72 drivers and downloaded Rivatuner, here's what happened:

29.6 driver -

230/475 - 3dmark = 4908
230/485 - 3dmark = 4906

40.72 driver -

200/475 - 3dmark = 4987
235/485 - 3dmark = 5074

I'm happy =) what is the difference between overclock utilities? And do you think i could get this card going faster than 250/500 with a Crystal orb fan / heatsinks on the mem? btw thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

OP
the Undone guy

the Undone guy

Registered
no idea bro =/ I cant go higher than 485. If i do 3dmark starts to run and my computer just restarts in the middle of it. I cant get it to 500

nodsetse

willlangford said:
ok...ill see what happened when i put a 120 over it.
Well it won't hurt to try, and I wish you the best of luck...but don't get your hopes up, as I honestly don't think you'll see much difference, if any. :(

BabyEater

You will get a couple of more mhz's out of it with the 120mm.
I had my creative Ti200 @ 240/545 but i wouldn't run it all the time at that speed without additional cooling.

SpaceRangerJoe

i run 250-535 for benching. thats with a crystal orb, and bga ramsinks. im pretty sure the core will go higher, i just dont want to use rivatuner right now, and 250 is as high as the gainward utility will go. (i have a gainward ti200 will my 4600 gets back) at that speed, i get some artifacts in the tests, but it doesnt crash. i was going to rub a little dry ice on the ram sinks before the bench, to cool em down a little more, but the guy im borrowing the card from didnt think that was such a good idea. i cant imagine why =).

Malakai

see sig:
it does 250/565 without artifacts, but i turn it down to 240/550 to keep my mind at ease so i can focus on fragging:p