• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Phenom, II 965 BE, How far can I go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I managed to get it to run prime at 4.26 for an hour with no issues. I only stopped to go to bed. Max temp it hit was 45C. I am going to run prime again for 2 hours at that setting before moving on. This time I just increased the bus by 3 to 218. I left the NB voltage at 1.2 and the vcore I left at 1.44. The AIO has really helped the temps so I am feeling more confident to go a little farther.

I have been doing a lot of reading and watching youtube videos on OC'ing this chip. I have seen so many people running them at much higher vcore just to hit 4Ghz. One guy was at 1.55 to hit 4.1Ghz. Not sure why mine is doing it at such a lower voltage, but I'm not complaining. Not bad for a used $90 eBay chip :)

Most people don't cool that chip with a double 120mm fan water loop. That's really helping you in this scenario. Keeping it cool lowers electrical resistance and allows for a lower voltage to be used.

I had it stable at 4.2ghz at 1.44 v on air. Granted my temps hit 60C, but it passed an 8 hour Prime95 blend test.

I was thinking I could put longer hoses on my cooler and run it out the window. (joking) It is supposed to hit -30 with -50 wind chills here tomorrow and Monday. Who needs LN2 when you live in MN ;)

Last edited:
I was thinking I could put longer hoses on my cooler and run it out the window. (joking) It is supposed to hit -30 with -50 wind chills here tomorrow and Monday. Who needs LN2 when you live in MN
You can just stick the whole rig outside but if there isn't antifreeze in the lines of the cooler you will have problems when the lines freeze.

I am not that obsessed.....yet. I will just do it in the house :)

I am testing 4.28ghz now. I upped the bus to 219 and upped the vcore a little and the cpunb a little. I will post all of the screen shots if/when it makes it for 2 hours. I am running prime95 blend right now and watching Netflix :)

OK. 3 hours on prime95. I am calling this one good and moving up. This is 4.28ghz. Here are the screen shots. I am starting to hate CPUZ. The readings fluctuate so bad, but the other 3 programs I have the readings hold steady.

I am going to try to up the bus speed again to get to 4.3 and test. Voltage I will let be for now.

Attachments

• 43 cpuz 1.JPG
    43 cpuz 1.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 43 cpuz 2.JPG
    43 cpuz 2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 43 cpuz 3.JPG
    43 cpuz 3.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 43 HW 1.JPG
    43 HW 1.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 43 hwm 2.JPG
    43 hwm 2.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 35
I need to read up on RAM. I have not learned how, what, or why to change timings.

Here it is now. 4.32.......fingers crossed.........prime starting now

Attachments

• WEI 432.JPG
    WEI 432.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 33
I need to read up on RAM. I have not learned how, what, or why to change timings.

Here it is now. 4.32.......fingers crossed.........prime starting now
Well, getting the ram up in speed or lowering the timings will in essence make the overclock just that much better tuned so to speak. For now find the sweet spot you want to overclock the Cpu to then start messing with the timings and ram speed. That way you'll know if you have stability issues what is causing it.

28 min on prime @4.32Ghz (fingers crossed HARD) Max temps will be 49C. I always get my max temp on the 8k length FFT's (starting to know this chip)

You say to change the ram speed. It looks like to do that my only choice is to go way over the 1600mhz. As for timings, I have them set to auto and it looks like the BIOS had changed them quite a bit. Stock is 11, 11, 31, and BIOS has them at 9, 9, 24. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought different memory. This model of GSkill has some high timings compared to others.

You say to change the ram speed. It looks like to do that my only choice is to go way over the 1600mhz. As for timings, I have them set to auto and it looks like the BIOS had changed them quite a bit. Stock is 11, 11, 31, and BIOS has them at 9, 9, 24. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought different memory. This model of GSkill has some high timings compared to others.
This is where playing around is going to come in, you may have to lower the FSB and raise the multi to see what it will do. The other option may be to set the Cpu at stock and mess with the Ram speed to see how high you can get it stable. That way you eliminate the Cpu causing the issue. Also you may be able to tighten the timings ie lower them, just because it's speced at certain timing doesn't mean it's set in stone.

Well she almost made it an hour. BSOD code 124. I think I will need to add a little VCore.

What are the peak voltages I should keep under for VCore and CPUNB? I think 1.55 and the other ??

Last edited:
Once again Thank You!

I am running prime again with a little more Vcore. 1.48 now. I made it past an hour now so .....

Also have Netflix going this time. Seems to by my good luck charm. :) Wasn't running last test.

F3-17000CL11-4GBSR G Skill is DDR3-2133 ram. More than less intended for Intel rigs with those loose timings. However that said it is also rated at up to 1.60V so you can likely set ram to 1.60V and let the ram speed go over DDR3-1600 and do it with those 9, 9, 9, 24, 31 timings at 2T. Hopefully the IMC will hold together for such antics. Then you would be pretty well off for ram speed. You might also be able to run 8, 9, 9, 24, 31 2T and that would be even better.
RGone...

OK, we have 4.32Ghz stable on Prime for over 3 hours before I stopped to go to bed. Here are the shots.

Attachments

• 432 HW Mon 1.JPG
    432 HW Mon 1.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 432 CPUZ 2.JPG
    432 CPUZ 2.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 432 CPUZ1.JPG
    432 CPUZ1.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 432 HW Mon 2.JPG
    432 HW Mon 2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 432 prime.JPG
    432 prime.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 432 Bios 1.JPG
    432 Bios 1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 432 Bios 2.JPG
    432 Bios 2.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 25
Here is the next test. Temps are starting to come up for short periods during certain FFT lengths. This may be all I can get, if it does it. All I did is up the multi to 20. I am betting it will be unstable without more corev.

Update - I was correct. BSOD code 124 within 2 minutes on prime. Upped the corev to 1.5 now. It did run a 3dMark11 test OK at the lower voltage though. The physics score was over 4800. The highest I ever had.

Attachments

• 44 WEI.JPG
    44 WEI.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
You're going to get to a point where you're really going to have to feed the Cpu voltage to get to the next X mhz. You're going to have to weigh whether the increase in performance is worth the amount of voltage you need to run X Mhz. 4.3+ is not too shabby as a stable OC, not many that I've seen can run those clocks stable.

Back