• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Phobos 8715S And Voltage Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TrenxT

Registered
Hi Guru's,
I have failed at the attempts to OC this machine. No matter what I try as soon as I try to encode a blueray the temps go high flying and the fps are utterly poor ( around 17fps ) average.

Many of the Bios's have their volateg option name CPU Vcore, My laptop has a Prema Bios and doesnt have anything named like such, it has something called Core voltage override... When i change it to lets say 1.5 XTU says its 1.5 but HWinfo says differently as you can see here http://prntscr.com/aawrcy

Nothing I do gives me a stable OC with good results.... http://prntscr.com/aaws31 thats a sad score for a machine that supposedly is running at 4.4

I need some help here from you folks..

Thanks in advance.

Does the fan ramp up on the laptop on load? Your scores are poor because it's throttling because of temps is my guess.

What does cpuz say vcore is? Please post pictures of cpuz main, memory, and SPD tab with your memory showing.

Can you post pictures of your bios here too? You should be able to hit f12 and take a screenshot (please host here at the site).

Bottom line...it's still a laptop and trying to coold that cpu AND overclock it will prove difficult to mange the heat. My suggestion at this point is tow set it to stock (reset bios defaults) and see if you can hit around 7.3 in cinebench. Keep hwmonitor open before and during the test so we can see idle and load temps.

No UEFI bios.. weird. Modern laptop and hardware, no UEFI bios... :(

Anyway, how about a voltage setting section screenshot (from the performance tuning section I presume).

Again, does it throttle at stock speeds? Reset the bios to default. You should be around 1.2V (VID shows 1.18). Put a load on it and see where the voltage goes.

Have you contacted the company you bought the laptop from and asked? Perhaps to see if they have another BIOS or even to ask WTH is going on and why are these tools reporting different clockspeeds... Im a bit confused.

Last edited:
Core VID shows fine CtFbcwW.png whats baffleing me right now is I have the cores at 44 asnd hwinfo shows this vJpdXvG.png

and the cinebench score is pitiful faAs73m.jpg

Look at Coretemp's VID... I mentioned earlier it was 1.18V. I am saying manually set your voltage to 1.2V and see if it reports that voltage on these other applications (Hwmon. If those applications are correct, the 1.3xV is too high for stock speeds and could be causing throttling of the VRMs. These hover around 1.2V stock.

It likely throttles down on idle to save power. Are you seeing it drop in CPUz too?

Again, can I have a screenshot of the performance tuning section? :)

For the record, a stock 4.2GHz 6700K scores around 10.0 in Cine R11.5. What you have above is better than your first score, LOL! Something just seems to be throttling it though.

p9D7YWI.jpg All those are default ATM 0

Lr08zBI.jpg All those are default to ATM 0

E9bRYff.jpg All those are default ATM 0

Those are from a config that did not work for me, but those are the voltages area of the Bios.

euRSOHF.jpg Thats default too turbo power and turbo short are 6449 and all the Platform power are at 0

hFtQLCw.jpg

3QO9rE4.jpg

cgpSQ76.jpg

This is what happened when I ran cinebench at default vxq9xiT.png it went down from 1.3 to this...

And this is Hwinfo fATM0Ij.png

And cinebench didnt even get close to 10... LjIPhmK.png

Disable c states and intel speedshift.

Use override voltage so you can set a specific value.

When i disabled speedshift all clocks dissapear and i log in with 4.0 P6A0NwN.png

I think what we are finally seeing is normal turbo. Have you had CPUz up and watched it while running Cinebench? Does it instantly drop down or is it mostly 4.2 or................ your brief responses really don't lead to further discussion............

If you look at some of my motherboard reviews, we use Cinebench 11.5. I have scores from 9.57 (4Ghz on B150 board 2133 ram) to 9.8-10.1x on regular Z170 boards. You are beating the flat 4Ghz clock with the same ram speed. ;)

Z170 Sabertooth - 10.09: http://www.overclockers.com/asus-sabertooth-z170-mark-1-motherboard-review/

B150 board (4Ghz) - 9.57: http://www.overclockers.com/msi-b150a-gaming-pro-motherboard-review/

You also need to consider that your ram speed is slow as hell compared to the Z170 results. I run at 2666 CL14 or 3000 CL15 while you are sitting way down @ 2133MHz CL14. With that in mind, I think you are set!!!!!!

Last edited:
Sir im answering the questions and taking the steps you are suggesting... Heres is CPUZ it drops down as soon as I start cinebench. XXAkYYp.png

Please read my updated post ... I think you are good. its just normal turbo now.

Do this... run something that is single threaded, like Super PI (Run 1M) and see if it holds at 4.2GHz.

EDIT: Also, try disabling speedstep (BIOS) and turning your Windows power plan to HIGH PERFORMANCE and see if it holds.

I see nothing changing when using super pi. but i dont get why u say im all set if this crap throttles as soon as i star encoding something

Back