• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Q6600 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roberts91

Registered
System Specs:
Intel Quad-Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
8800GTS(640MB)
4GB RAM
650watt PSU
Windows 7(64bit)
EVGA nForce 680i SLI (775MB) mobo

Settings:
Multiplier set to: 8x (down from 9x)
Speed set to: 3.0Ghz(up from 2.4Ghz)
Ram speed set to: 750Mhz(down from 800Mhz)
Cpu vcore set to 1.40v(up from 1.23v something)
Northbridge(nForce SPP) set to: 1.40v(up from 1.35v)
Ram voltage = Auto

I've tried virtually everything and can't get my Q6600 to overclock without rebooting the computer at the loading screen on Windows. Please help :)

did you lock you pcix @100?

and that much vcore should let that chip reach 3.6

also try setting everything you can in manual like your ram volts and anything else you can.
sorry i can't be more help but i'm not familiar with your board

680i is one of the worst chipsets for overclocking quads....

you may have some vdroop, I would try...

CPU Vcore to 1.45
Northbridge to 1.5

680i is one of the worst chipsets for overclocking quads....

you may have some vdroop, I would try...

CPU Vcore to 1.45
Northbridge to 1.5

I doubt more vcore is going to do much good, most Q6600's (that I've seen) will do 3.0 at stock vcore.

Have you tried 3.0 at the 9x multi. just throwing that out as I know 680i is bad for quads but i'm not sure the FSB limits for it.

I doubt more vcore is going to do much good, most Q6600's (that I've seen) will do 3.0 at stock vcore.

Have you tried 3.0 at the 9x multi. just throwing that out as I know 680i is bad for quads but i'm not sure the FSB limits for it.

Yes

I think... I THINK.. I got it stable at 2.8Ghz but still that's retarded. I kept hearing how people can get the Q6600 up to 3.6Ghz and I can't even get it up to 3Ghz I spent money on a cooling system so i can overclock my CPU yet funny thing is overheating is no longer my problem in fact I can probably take my Q6600 up to 3.4Ghz with reasonable temps but for some unknown reason I can't get to 3.0Ghz because some invisible wall is blocking me. :(

edit: nevermind it's unstable just got rebooted twice. I was looking over my invoice and noticed that i only have a 600watt power supply I could have sworn that it was 650watt does that make a difference?

Last edited:
There is no reason why u cant get at least 3.6 out of that cpu with the board u have. Probably not much more but at least that. Im not familar with that board but from what i hear they r not the best overclockers around. Still though u should be able to get 3.6 out of it anyway. I have a Q6600 in 1 of my P5K Premiums and iv'e had that up to almost 4.3 with no problems. Let me do some checking on that board and i will get back to you ok and see what i can do to help you out as best i can. What is your Q6600? A b3 or a go? That will make a difference right there. Anyway let me do some checking and i will get back to u ok.

There is no reason why u cant get at least 3.6 out of that cpu with the board u have. Probably not much more but at least that. Im not familar with that board but from what i hear they r not the best overclockers around. Still though u should be able to get 3.6 out of it anyway. I have a Q6600 in 1 of my P5K Premiums and iv'e had that up to almost 4.3 with no problems. Let me do some checking on that board and i will get back to you ok and see what i can do to help you out as best i can. What is your Q6600? A b3 or a go? That will make a difference right there. Anyway let me do some checking and i will get back to u ok.

Yes it is the G0

http://techgage.com/article/evga_nforce_680i_sli/ Ok there is the link with a review that will tell you alot about that board. What bios are you running on that? It appears with the earlier bios revisions top fsb with a Q6600 was only 350. But with the newer P27 bios the top fsb was at 450. The Go 6600 is the one to have so you are good to go there. Check out that link it might help you a little and if you have any more questions just ask.:thup:

Not on a 680i

http://techgage.com/article/evga_nforce_680i_sli/ Ok there is the link with a review that will tell you alot about that board. What bios are you running on that? It appears with the earlier bios revisions top fsb with a Q6600 was only 350. But with the newer P27 bios the top fsb was at 450. The Go 6600 is the one to have so you are good to go there. Check out that link it might help you a little and if you have any more questions just ask.:thup:

I updated the BIOS today to the latest version and I still have the same problem. And even uping all the volts to ungodly amounts like 1.5v and above I still have the same problem.

I updated the BIOS today to the latest version and I still have the same problem. And even uping all the volts to ungodly amounts like 1.5v and above I still have the same problem.

If you put all the settings to auto, and just bump FSB to 300, does it boot?

If you put all the settings to auto, and just bump FSB to 300, does it boot?

I did those settings for you and it booted into windows fine but is it stable? Dunno I'll turn Prime95(?) on for you and see how long it lasts

edit: wow i thought those settings would last longer then 2.8Ghz I booted up Prime95 and went to go get a soda out the fridge came back and my computer was rebooting from a crash.

Last edited:
Is the chip a B3 or G0 stepping? I had a hard time getting my Q6600 up to 3.7 on a p45 board (I think) which when I bought it I was told by a friend it would be great for the quad, and I had a G0 chip with great cooling.

Back