• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD 960T Black Edition & Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjjaymz

Hi,

I am new here and new to overclocking.

I have just finished building my new system from these parts:

- AMD 960T Black Edition 3.0GHz Socket AM3 8MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
- Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
- Piano Black Micro ATX Case With 500W PSU
- G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
- Thermal Compound Silver Grease
- Tenda Wireless-N150 USB Adapter
- Xenta SATA 2.0 to right angle SATA 7-pin Cable (Red) 46cm / 18" - Qty: 2
- Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
- 80mm Black Case Fan - 3pin Connector - Screws Included - Qty: 2
- Kingston 120V+ 120GB SSD
- PowerColor HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE

I want to Overclock the CPU, I had a little try by going in the BIOS (most settings are on Auto)...I found the CPU multiplier and took it upto 3.4GHz then it got unstable (& I got scared) and kept bluescreening so I put it back to stock.

What now?

Any help would be great!

rescuetoaster

Set all of your voltages to what they should be manually. 3.4 is pretty low to top out on with this cpu. Also, you may luck out and be able to unlock those two dormant cores like I was.

Follow the guide rgone linked, and watch your temps using hwmonitor.

OP
J

jjjaymz

Thanks for the info and the guide. I tried to find the stock voltage settings but my 960T does not appear on the AMD site that the guide suggested. I tried searching HD96ZTWFK4DGR also, it but no luck...So i can't really continue without this info. wonder why it's not at http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUResult.aspx

What now?

keny

Start with you're vcore at 1.4v and use the CPU multiplier only for now to overclock and test with prime after every Increase on the multiplier, once it fails increase the vcore (CPU voltage) a notch and test again, while testing with prime95 make sure you're core temps do not go higher than 55c, you can monitor temps with HWmonitor and check your CPU frequency with CPU-z these are all available for free online

OP
J

jjjaymz

Thanks for the info. OK I set vcore to 1.4v, memory to 1600, and set cpu to 3.4Ghz (as far as I got before BSOD earlier). Multiplier is x17, bus speed 200, HT link 2000, I have 35c for the cores on idle.

When I ran prime95 it did 1 pass and got to 54c then I stopped the test. I think I have an issue with airflow. I have only 1 case fan at the back pushing air out. It doesn't seem like the CPU fan is achiving maximum speed as when I turn PC on, I can hear the CPU fan run at full power for a bit then it settles down...it doesn't kick in like that even with prime95 torture test.

I will get another for the front (sucking) but I couldn't use the extra one I had bought as no available case fan power socket so will get a molex adapter. Shall I fit a side fan too?

This build is in a mATX case so I guess that is an issue in itself and when taking into consideration that I have a HD5770 graphics card, this will only raise temps even more.

Also I am using the PSU that came with the case (500Watt) but the case and PSU was only 25 pounds sterling (about 40 usd) so maybe the PSU isnt that great (seems to run hot...pushing out hot air).

I may get some better thermal paste (just used what the cooler came with...a pad) hopefully this will also lower temps.

Any more advice?

Last edited:

trents

Thanks for the info. OK I set vcore to 1.4v, memory to 1600, and set cpu to 3.4Ghz (as far as I got before BSOD earlier). Multiplier is x17, bus speed 200, HT link 2000, I have 35c for the cores on idle.

When I ran prime95 it did 1 pass and got to 54c then I stopped the test. I think I have an issue with airflow. I have only 1 case fan at the back pushing air out.

Good air flow through the case is quite important.

It doesn't seem like the CPU fan is achiving maximum speed as when I turn PC on, I can hear the CPU fan run at full power for a bit then it settles down...it doesn't kick in like that even with prime95 torture test.

It's normal for the fan to run at full speed as the computer is starting up and then settle down again as Windows is being loaded because the fan speed controls aren't active yet. If it's not speeding back up under load, however, you need to go into bios into the section that controls fan speed (Usually called "PC Health") and configure the profile.

I will get another for the front (sucking) but I couldn't use the extra one I had bought as no available case fan power socket so will get a molex adapter. Shall I fit a side fan too?

Front fans should be pushing air through the case and the rear and top fans should be pulling air through the case.

This build is in a mATX case so I guess that is an issue in itself and when taking into consideration that I have a HD5770 graphics card, this will only raise temps even more.

Also I am using the PSU that came with the case (500Watt) but the case and PSU was only 25 pounds sterling (about 40 usd) so maybe the PSU isnt that great (seems to run hot...pushing out hot air).

I may get some better thermal paste (just used what the cooler came with...a pad) hopefully this will also lower temps.

Good idea. Get a small tube of either Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4. Not very expensive but good.

Any more advice?

This is what correct case air flow should look lke:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 496
  • computer-tower-cases-01.jpg
    computer-tower-cases-01.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
if you will go into the bios you should find an area where it monitors the fans and temps, if you disable the cpu fan in the bios it just runs it at full tilt boogy, i no that "disable" sounds like turning it off but it should get it screaming.

OP
J

jjjaymz

Thanks so much for all the help guys...

Hmm there's nothing about a fan profile in BIOS, just q fan (off)

I took the side of the case off and the core temps are at 26c...then I ran prime95...again went to 54 c after 3rd pass so I stopped it...what is wrong? Thermal paste maybe?

any advice would be great guys!

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
1. You need to make a signature with your system specs in it. Something like the one showing in my siganture.

2. Went back to your first post and you write this >> Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 >> To my mind after having a couple of the lesser priced FreezerPro things, they are nearly worthless. Too hard to get seated on the CPU and because of that they tend to clamp un-evenly on the CPU itself.

OP
J

jjjaymz

1. You need to make a signature with your system specs in it. Something like the one showing in my siganture.

2. Went back to your first post and you write this >> Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 >> To my mind after having a couple of the lesser priced FreezerPro things, they are nearly worthless. Too hard to get seated on the CPU and because of that they tend to clamp un-evenly on the CPU itself.

Hi, I got it due to good buyer reviews and then this:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...tic-cooling-freezer-7-pro-rev-2-700058/review

hope its not wrong!