• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 250, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think a GeForce GT 730 with 2GB RAM is going to be sufficient for most games. It's a decent video card and so long as you don't max out your resolution and detail settings, I wouldn't see a real need to upgrade it. Main system bottleneck right now is definitely your CPU. But yeah, find out what they are playing so you know for sure.

Like Johan said your board only supports 95W CPUs so the 956 BE is out, unless you purchase a new board... Like the first link you posted, that looks decent. You have to be careful with swapping aftermarket motherboards into OEM type cases. Sometimes the front panel connectors are proprietary and can be a pain to get connected to a non OEM board. Just examine the front panel connections that are currently on the pegatron mobo. You should see one for HDD lead, Reset Switch, Power Led, Power switch and speaker. If they are all individually labeled it should be a breeze to swap in a new motherboard. If not, you may want to opt for a new case as well because it can be a real headache to get the FP leads sorted.

Obviously, this is your choice in terms of what upgrade path you want to take, but I would still recommend the SSD drive in addition to your new CPU/mobo combo. Unleash the beast!

I think a GeForce GT 730 with 2GB RAM is going to be sufficient for most games.
IMO, it isn't...which is why I am saying to upgrade that over the CPU. I am not sure there is a lower end GPU in that generation (3 gens old) card. Who wants to start 'new' and have to turn down game settings? I'm not saying go get a 1060/1070, but, a GTX 960 or something similar will play well with that CPU at 1080p with reasonable settings and FPS.

But......................truth be told it ALL needs to be upgraded as that isn't a 1080p gaming system, period. dual cores hold back gaming as well as a GT 730 GPU.

We simply need to know this guys budget and work the best parts in. We are all approaching it from different angles with different thoughts(budget) in mind.

Back