• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an old q660 on an Asus P5Q Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crowley

Hi everyone!

A friend who upgraded his rig just gave me 8Gb DDRAM2 at 1066Mhz, and I know my Quadcore q660 does not need that high of frequency but I won't look a gift ram in the mouth :)

Anyways, my system is getting on in years and I'd like to squeeze more power from it and jump my 2.4 Ghz to 3.2 or more. I know a bit of the basic principles of overclocking but not that much. So I really need help.

First, am I gonna be able to have a 1:1 ratio? it would mean having a 533Mhz FSB if I'm correct, multiplied by 6 instead of the native x9 multiplier. Is this possible or do I need to settle on a 350+ and have a screwed up ratio? Those CPU are supposed to work well asynchronous if I read correctly somewhere.
If I have to settle to a lower FSB (on a overcloking guide some guys put their q660 at 372 but on a different mobo) do I need to underclock my memory or do I leave it as is? Any road, how do I do it?

Secondly, voltage, which ones should I set manually and to what amount? CPU, PCIE, RAM voltages?

Finally, any other things I should change on the BIOS settings?

My rig:
Asus P5q Deluxe
Quadcore Q660 2.4GHz 266 FSB G0 step
Power Cooler GX 750watts
Kingston HyperX PC8500 4x2g 1066Mhz

I know it's a tall order guys, but if someone could give me a good answer I'll be really grateful, I know you guys are all up in your i7 right now but have a thought for the poor guys who can't afford them yet :(

Thanks, it was really helpful! I'm gonna try 3.0Ghz and start from there, cheers mate.

3 GHz is a nice easy speed, feels like a New machine (all the basic system processes seem to have so much less impact on % CPU usage ^^ ) over the original 2.4GHz speed and still runs pretty cool at lowish volts - all while usually being easy to achieve

Heading onto 3.3 needs a little more volts and beyond that can get more fiddly depending on how high you are prepared to push the volts / how good your motherboard is + HSF (HeatSinkFan) are

Well, have fun with your testing and Good Luck :)

Back