• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking and lifespan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DontTakeEmOff

Registered
Hi, I am fairly new to this stuff, I have a D0 i7 920 overclocked to 3.6ghz right now and its quite cool. Hits 60C under max load. I know I can push this alot more, but I have heard mixed things. If I can get the processor up to 4.0 - 4.2 ghz stable, am I going to really shorten the lifespan? Or as long as its cool and in safe temps will it be ok? Thanks

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You will buy another PC before you kill your chip so long as your temps and voltages are in line.

OP
D

DontTakeEmOff

Registered
Alright thanks, I want to get it up there if for nothing else other than the fun of it.

OP
D

DontTakeEmOff

Registered
:D

You could always get an E3200 and clock it to 4Ghz earth if you ever blew up your Q. Aslong as your not 16 and living with your parents then its easy to replace items.

Speaking of chips, I see you have an i3 running at 4.6. Im curious, would that beat an i7 920 running at 4.2 ghz for single threaded application. It should right?

Hey Zeus

Speaking of chips, I see you have an i3 running at 4.6. Im curious, would that beat an i7 920 running at 4.2 ghz for single threaded application. It should right?

It took a 4.3Ghz Bloomfield to beat my 4.6Ghz Single Cpu score in Cinebench so to answer your question yes. :)

karkas

It took a 4.3Ghz Bloomfield to beat my 4.6Ghz Single Cpu score in Cinebench so to answer your question yes. :)

While single threaded is true, the real value of i7 920 is the 8 threads & much lower memory latency. (I know single threaded was asked, but just keep things clear.)

freeagent

From my experience overclocking doent reduce the lifetime of cpus (that I could see) But it can reduce the lifetime of your memory, and maybe your board if its not really meant for it. 32nm cpus might be different.. Its been awhile since Ive heard of a cpu dieing, Brollocks chip was the first I'd seen in a few years. Neuro had a bad Abit take out his q6600. But outside of those, it seems fairly rare.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Unless you do some agressive overclocking that requires a fair amount of voltage boosting, your hardware should last a few years.

OP
D

DontTakeEmOff

Registered
Unless you do some agressive overclocking that requires a fair amount of voltage boosting, your hardware should last a few years.

Yeah I got it up to 4.0 with 1.31 vcore so I don't think I have any issues. Its been running for an hour and a half now, gonna see how long it can last with Prime95.