• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking and storage issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enhanced

ive been into overclocking ever since i first got into computers 10 or so years ago. back then only some motherboards offered a feature called "pci lock" or something similar which would lock the pci bus at 33/66/100mhz while overclocking. this helped keep data from becoming corrupt when written to the hard drive.

the questions i have are, does Sata have this same issue with data being corrupt? what about USB?

i have never seen this lock feature on any newer motherboards and have never really had a problem until recently. i have a system thats overclocked and as a fairly large amount of data on it. (right around 1TB) and some of the data has become corrupt. The drives are running on Sata which is why i asked. would usb offer some protection from this? in the form of an external USB drive?

thanks

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That lock feature is certainly there for PCIe...its on my board. I do not beleive the USB ports will have a corruption issue, no. Actually, I havent seen sata have that issue either... maybe b/c I put the pcie locks on? Not sure.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
It's nearly impossible to find a motherboard now that DOESN'T lock the busses. I think your data corruption problems stem from elsewhere.

OP
E

enhanced

the system in question has a DFI lanparty UT 3200 cfx and I can not find any pcix lock, the only thing i found that maybe close is a PCIx common clock.

another system i have which was built around the same time has a PCIE spread spectrum and allows you to adjust the pcie clock. default is set to 100mhz.