• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking and Win7 Sleep - WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

derdeb

Registered
This has to be the most annoying PC problem I've ever had.

And that's saying something.

I have an i7920 and overclocked it to a nice stable 3.8ghz. Stress tested fine, temps were perfect.

Enter Windows 7 Sleep.

I had made sure my BIOS setting had the S3 enabled (had NO problems coming out of sleep with the stock settings) and left the PC for a while. I then came back expecting the PC to 'wake up'.

The fans turned on, the lights blinked, but the monitor remained black.

Okay.

I reset the PC, thinking that stupid thing froze (in hindsight, I should have waited longer). So now I'm waiting for the motherboard splash screen to show up (DX85SO) and nothing happens.

Stupid thing won't even post. Just a black screen. I try resetting again, and the PC turns on for about 10 seconds and then turns off.

I try this again and again and I finally make it to the BIOS setup, but it freezes while IN the BIOS. After clearing the CMOS and moving the motherboard jumpers (which didn't work until the 5'th time), I make my way into the BIOS and reset it back to stock.

Now it works fine.

Wakes from sleep, and starts properly.

My question is..WTF is up with overclocking and sleep mode? My only theory is that maybe I wasn't giving it enough power to wake up out of sleep mode (1.2 volts on the cpu).

Has anyone heard this problem before? Should I just disable the stupid thing?

Elfie

I had this problem when I was experimenting with my overclocks. Insufficient QPI/VTT voltage was the cause on my system.

retrogreq

overclocking and sleep mode have always been enemies....the ONLY system ive ever built that slept properly (while overclocked) was my E8500.

Bobnova

I've never had a desktop that could sleep at all, and i'm talking a dozen or two desktops on a variety of operating systems with and without overclocking.

BobbyBubblehead

#Laughs#

I`ve reassigned the sleep button on my keyboard.

The remmedy for my MCH chipset was to turn the power off at the psu and hold the Bios reset button for a little while.

voltage
EIST
C1E

plenty of bios things to effect if its going to play ball.

OP
D

derdeb

Registered
I had this problem when I was experimenting with my overclocks. Insufficient QPI/VTT voltage was the cause on my system.

That's what I'm thinking.

Did you have the same symptoms? Did you get it to work?

Elfie

Same symptoms, had to do a soft reset on the BIOS each time. I found I needed a QPI of just over 1.53v to get it to work but that's for G.Skill RAM running at 2000MHz.

Funnily enough sleep has always worked on every system of mine apart from the one with an Abit motherboard (and Vista).

OP
D

derdeb

Registered
Same symptoms, had to do a soft reset on the BIOS each time. I found I needed a QPI of just over 1.53v to get it to work but that's for G.Skill RAM running at 2000MHz.

Funnily enough sleep has always worked on every system of mine apart from the one with an Abit motherboard (and Vista).

What's even more strange is that when I forced the PC to sleep (start button -> sleep), it woke up fine. It wasn't until it slept 'naturally' that it froze.

What a headache.

Boulard83

My rig dont suffer from any trouble with sleeping. When i come back, push power and its back to life straight into windows.

OP
D

derdeb

Registered
My rig dont suffer from any trouble with sleeping. When i come back, push power and its back to life straight into windows.

Can you post your voltage settings? Maybe also your OC settings?

Also, why do you have to push power? Shouldn't it wake up my just moving your mouse?

Last edited:

Stvwndr219e

You may want to google your BIOS and its problems with sleep as well. I remember there was a bunch of discussion with unstable BIOSes when it came to sleeping on many of the X58 boards.

Boulard83

My computer completly SHUT-OFF with the Win7 sleep.
The POWER led flash, telling you that the computer is sleeping and not shuted off.

Moving the mouse dont do anything. I have tu push power and it come back to life, on the Windows password screen.

P6TD Deluxe
I7 920 : 21x191
Vcore : 1.2875
PLL : 1.82
PQI : 1.30
Vdram : 1.54
Gskill Trident @ 1528mhz 7-7-7-21 1n

Last edited:
OP
D

derdeb

Registered
I also read somewhere that the RAM timings are important. Should I manually set my RAM timings to stock (9,9,9,24)?

TechJunky

Mine works fine if I do 400x8 = 3.2
If i switch my multi to 360x9 = 3.24 My sleep function totally messes up my computer and I have to manually hard reset, reset cmos etc. I just turned power features to high as I only use this box to game on my projector screen. Good luck!

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Wow, I never realized sleep with an overclock was such a problem. I haven't had an issue for going on 2 years with it using Vista x64. I don't push my oc's to the ragged edge either though and always do some long stability testing.

Are people sure their overclocks are really stable?

kkpudge7

My x48 system with my Q9450 went in and out of sleep mode just fine with my 3.6Ghz oc. My i7 however is a different story. I am 12 hours prime blend stable at 4Ghz, and it wont come out of sleep. Even on stock settings. I read endless threads on voltage and different sleep settings, I gave up a long long time ago.

I am never gone for more than a couple hours at a time so my computer just stays on, if i'm gone for extended periods I'll shut it off, but thats about it.

OP
D

derdeb

Registered
My x48 system with my Q9450 went in and out of sleep mode just fine with my 3.6Ghz oc. My i7 however is a different story. I am 12 hours prime blend stable at 4Ghz, and it wont come out of sleep. Even on stock settings. I read endless threads on voltage and different sleep settings, I gave up a long long time ago.

I am never gone for more than a couple hours at a time so my computer just stays on, if i'm gone for extended periods I'll shut it off, but thats about it.

It's enough to drive you insane.

Would your PC reset okay after a failed sleep?

Amtrak

Wow, I never realized sleep with an overclock was such a problem. I haven't had an issue for going on 2 years with it using Vista x64. I don't push my oc's to the ragged edge either though and always do some long stability testing.

Are people sure their overclocks are really stable?

Same thoughts as me. I've never had any problems with sleep mode on my overclock and Windows 7, but then if it's a stability issue I tested my rig Prime95 blend and large FFT for 50+ hours each and LinX for 12+ hours before calling it stable.

SamSaveMax

I had the same problem with p45-ds3r boards. Tested stable 12hrs+ [email protected]....
The problem disappeared as I backed down to 4.20GHz.
Have you tried lower your oc a little to around 3.6~3.7GHz to see if it might solves the problem?