• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Athlon 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maestorm

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to overclocking and had an interest towards it, so I decided to give AMD Athlon 1700+ a go.

With some beginner's luck, I was able to successfully overclock from 1700+ to 2000+ (1.43ghz - 1.62ghz) and yet boot up smoothly without any hiccups. However, my main concern is the temperature status that I'm receiving....

CPU's temp is jumping around: 76C - 80C (C - celsius)
System's temp is at around: 31C

So far the system (win2000 professional) has been stable and running smoothly. I have a WinGlobal cooling fan installed too.

Kindly advise if my CPU chip is about to turn into charcoal or the temp i'm receiving is way out.

-Maestorm

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! :D

What are you using to get those temps? Is that under full load? If thats found to be correct then YES that is WAY too hot!!! Whats the temp reported in the bios?

I'm using an Epox 8K3A+ Mobo, with the Athlon 1700+, 256Dr333 dram. I bump my cpu clock to 149 and volt to 2.150.

Well, the temp posted by the bios for the cpu was at 79-80C, which kinda worried me! :confused:

maestorm said:
I'm using an Epox 8K3A+ Mobo, with the Athlon 1700+, 256Dr333 dram. I bump my cpu clock to 149 and volt to 2.150.

Well, the temp posted by the bios for the cpu was at 79-80C, which kinda worried me! :confused:

I'd do one of two things immediatly:

1: Back down that overclock...

2: Get more fans and/or move wires and cables to maximize your airflow.

In either case you should be aiming for a full load of (at most) 45-50*C. Under 40 is my preference.

AND get yourself a temp probe... something like a compunurse or digidoc 5 and find out FOR SURE what your temps are. Better safe than sorry.

Back