• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking celeron 700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batty

would just like to say hello to all on this forum ,been looking in a while now ,excellent site for info well done to all ;)
thats the creeping out the way i now need some info on overclocking a celeron 700

system as follows....
intel celeron 700
Qdi advance 10 m/b
40 gig 7200 hdd
24 x plex writer
1x256 ram & 1x128
hercules prophet 4000xt 32meg
broadband internet connection

cpu temp 33 c
system temp 31 c

can i safely change the fsb from 66 to 100 or 133 ?

in the bios is the following options (speed easy set up)

cpu host/pci clock options of 66/33 , 75/37 ,83/41 (set on default at min)
close empty dimm/pci clock (enabled)
spread spectrum options of 0.25 ,0.5, disable (set on 0.25)
(what is that anyway !!!)
i can also alter the jumpers on m/b to either 66 ,100 ,133

what gains am i likely to get ?
what is a safe temp for cpu to run at ?

any info greatfully recieved

thanks

oh nearly forgot ,there is also an option to overclock the graphics card but unsure what to do on this

Monaco

hi batty, welcome to the forums!

Your CPU will probably not make it all the way to a 100mhz FSB- that would mean it was running at 1050mhz, and that's a tad high for that chip.

Normally, Celerons like yours top out at 900 to 950mhz. You could be lucky, tho- you might have a really good chip that goes to 1050 no problems! Only way to find out is to try it. I would try the 75/37 and 83/41 options first, tho- you are more likely to get it to work at those slightly lower speeds. 75/37 means a FSB of 75 and a PCI bus of 37 mhz, and so on.

The 133mhz FSB will definately not work- that is just way too fast for a Celeron unless you do some liquid nitrogen cooling or something:D

Disable Spread Spectrum if you can- that locks the clock generator to a more accurate setting, but hurts overclocking potential. Just turn it off.

As for temps- get a stress program (SETi, [email protected], Sisoft Sandra, etc.) that will run your system at a heavy load, and run that for an hour. If your temps stray under 40C or so for the CPU, you should be ok. It will get hotter as you run it faster- a new heatsink is probably in order if you want to overclock much.

Gains- you will see large speed increases from OCing this CPU, mostly from the faster front side bus. The original 66mhz bus is pretty weak, even knocking it up just to 83mhz is a good boost. You might not really notice it tho under normal usage- you'll probably have to run some benchmarks to see just how much better it is. Games however will most likely run noticeably faster.

Good luck!

deez

One thing the monster forgot to mention is that you will probably also need to bump up your voltage a bit to get it 100% stable once you start to increase your FSB. You should do this in small increments then test for stability. Prime95 is also an excellent test

OP
B

batty

cheers for the replies u 2 ;)

some very helpful info ,will do a check on speed first tehn after and will get back to u on findings etc

just one more Q
do i alter the fsb in the bios then and not on the m/b ? and am i right in saying that if its set to 66 via the jumpers on the m/b then it will go 66 to 99 if set on 100 it will go 100 to 132 and so on ?

thanks again

Monaco

yeup, that's how it is on a lot of mobos. First pick your FSB range with a jumper, then use the BIOS to choose a specific FSB speed.

DOH, forgot to mention voltages, right on deez. Just try not to boost the voltage more than +10% higher than normal, you don't want cooked Celery:D

OP
B

batty

just a quick update

went to 75/37 and it runs at 789 ,temp steady 38 c

tried the 83/41 and pc wouldnt boot at all ,so will run at the 75 for a while

thanks again
:)

Monaco

right on man, glad to hear it!

89 free mhz is a good thing, but that extra 9mhz on the FSB is where the real gains come from. :) I'm sure if you wanted to fiddle you could get it happy at 83/41, let us know if you want any help with it.

deez

38C is a good temp but your full load temp is the only important one. Run prime95 torture test or sandra burn-in for an hour then check your temp after that. 83FSB will put your PCI devices a bit out of spec (40Mhz) so your instability at that speed could be from one of your PCI devices. You shouldn't go any higher than that until the 1/3 divisor kicks in. On some mobo's you can hit hti 1/3 at 92 FSB

Also you may want to buy a good heatsink if your planning to tweak your voltage.

Peter007

Speaking from Experience: You won't get much

I have 2 700 Celerons right now.

1 Will do 100mhz FSB at 1050mhz, but only if I use High Quality Copper Heatskin like the copper ORB. Anything less will crashed out of 3D Gaming or Benchmark

2. My Second Celeron 700mhz isn't so lucky

Try, I Try but I could only use maximum of 83mhz.
I manage to force it to run 1050mhz and load window.
But it cannot......CANNOT Run any 3D Games or anything CPU Intensive

I even bump the Voltage all the way up to 2.3V, still not stable.

I say go with the Celeron 666 instead, you have a better chance of hitting 1000mhz than that extra 50mhz at 1050mhz

Monaco

if you really want to OC a Celeron, get a 566. Since all 66mhz FSB Celerons are built on the same stepping process, they are all likely to hit the same top speed- 900 to 1000 mhz.

A 566 will hit 1000mhz at 118mhz FSB. A 666 will hit 1000mhz at 100mhz FSB. In other words, the 566 is faster. If you can find it, a cB0 533A is the best 66mhz FSB Celeron for overclocking.

Unless, of course, your other components can't handle the high FSB:)

Peter007- it sounds very much like this is what is happening to you. I have a feeling that one of your cards can't handle the high bus speed- you could try pulling cards one by one to see where the problem lies. Then again you might just have a very OC-unhappy CPU.

TimeCop

Well here's my results with the Celeron 700

BH6 1.01 w/ slot 1 to 370 converter
v1.90 FSB @ 103 (1082) ran fine.

Tried it at v2.20 FSB @ 112 (1176) posted only

Currently:
VH6-II v1.90 FSB @ 108 (1134) runs great.

Stratagy games cause system to reboot after 15-20mins. though, running @ FSB 103 (1082) runs stratagy games fine.