• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Core2Duo E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dirk767

Hi, I'm new to overclocking and want to overclock my rig.
I can overclock my CPU from 3GHz to 3.6GHz by upping the FSB from 333 to 400MHz using Easy Tune 6. FSB/DRAM timing is 1:1. The Ram then running at 400MHZ (effectively 800MHz) No Voltage changes are required. Machine very stable using Prime 95 and temp never goes above 53 Degrees Celcius.

The problem is that I want to do this in the BIOS and not use easy tune 6 every time the computer reboots. Below I'll list some BIOS settings as they are standard and then what I'm changing them to. When I change these settings in BIOS the machine restarts doesn't POST and just reboots again allowing me to go into BIOS again and then my changes are gone again.

Advanced BIOS Features

C1E - Enabled I leave this on
CPU Thermal monitor - Enabled
CPU EIST - Enabled I leave this on

MB Intelligent Tweaker

CPU clock Ratio - 9X I leave this as is
CPU Host clock control - Disabled I change this to enabled
CPU host Frequency - 333 I change this to 400MHz
PCI-E Frequency - Auto I change this to 100MHz
System mem multiplier - Auto I change this to 2.0 to give 800MHz
System Voltage Control - Auto I leave this on auto but have tried to manually set it to 1.225V also as it should be for this clock.

These settings seem right to me but I don't think the machine is Posting.
I have also tried to disable C1E and CPU EIST speedstep and throttling.

The BIOS has been flashed with Q-Flash to F3 and Optimized defaults were loaded afterwards.

I don't know why I can overclock the machine with Easy tune 6, but simply can't do it in the BIOS. Am I doing something wrong?? Pls any advise would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Using this template for the EG31M-S2, post all of your current voltages (as read by EasyTune; assuming all voltages in the BIOS are set to AUTO); just disregard my settings, and replace w/ your own...

Code:
M I T

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [8]

CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [286]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.5]
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
Memory Frequency (MHz)______ [800]

CAS Latency Time [6]
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay [6]
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay [6]
Precharge Delay (tRAS) 18]
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)[ auto]
Rank Write to READ Delay[auto]
Write to Precharge Delay[auto]
Refresh to ACT Delay[auto]
Read to Precharge Delay[auto]
Memory Performance Enhance [Normal]

******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ********
System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.2V]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [1.28V]
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.300]

Also post either a direct link to your RAM, or post the manufacturer's specified (SPD) timings and Vdimm at 800 MHz. Also post the VID of your chip, using Real Temp--> "Settings" page--> Max VID. Download MemSet and post a pic. showing all of your current RAM timings (including sub-timings); assuming all timings are set to AUTO in the BIOS...

MemSet v4.0
http://www.tweakers.fr/memset.html

Last edited:
I have taken a screenshot when overclocking the cpu to 3.6GHz under full load with Prime 95 using Easy tune 6 to change the FSB to 400MHz. Real temp is there with the settings as requested. Memset 4.0 timings also open. Some additional info with CPU-Z and GPU-Z. FSB/DRAM timing is 1:1

Here is a link to the screenshot and also some BIOS pics. Think they are readable, sorry had to use digital camera for BIOS pics.

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/d.swart1/Overclock#

The one screenshot is of my Advanced BIOS Features as standard. The other of the M.I.T Page with the standard settings and another with the settings I try to apply to get the same overclock in BIOS as what I get with Easytune 6.
Funny, as you can see the M.I.T page does not have the Memory timings??
I have looked around and can't see these settings anywhere for the memory.
You'll also see that the memory is showing 667 with the fsb at 333 (1:1 ratio) but setting FSB to 400 will change the ram to 400.

This link is the Memory SPD. Atleast it seems to be. Hope this can help.

http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/spd/HYMP125U64CP8_SPD(Rev0.7).pdf

In order to access the RAM timings, you'll need to press Ctrl+F1 at the main BIOS screen to unhide / unlock the Advanced Options menu. And from the Desktop pic. you linked to, I can't make out the Max Vid in Real Temp.

Thanks, I didn't know about the Ctrl+F1 to unlock the BIOS settings.

As for the desktop photo. There is a zoom button just above the photos. You can zoom pretty close and move the pic around. All settings are really clear and visible.

The min - 1.0375V
max - 1.1875V

I must have missed the Full Screen button. With a VID of 1.1875, the Vcore in Windows while running Prime shouldn't drop lower than this. From the pic. of CPU-Z w/ the current Vcore at 1.120, this may be a result of having C1E enabled, the result of Vdroop / Vdrop, or both. Take System Voltage Control off of AUTO, and manually adjust it to 1.200v. Load both cores w/ the latest version of Prime, recheck the Vcore in CPU-Z, and compensate for the voltage difference from within the BIOS. Also manually adjust tRFC (Refresh Cycle Time) to 54 from the current 44. Run Memtest86+ to check for stability before attempting to boot into Windows.

Under Voltage Options, I don't see a (G)MCH OverVoltage Control option. With Easy Tune open, post a pic. of that also, showing all of your current voltages (VTT, vMCH, Vcc, etc.)

I have a GA-EG31M-S2 and i have the same problem it just keeps resetting the bios to default when i post no mater what i try.:mad:

If you find a solution let me know.:cool:

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/d.swart1/Overclock#5349084780782624770

This is the second screenshot I took after Disabling C1E in Bios and setting Vcore manually to 1.200V also in BIOS. EIST was still enabled in BIOS.
I noticed that Speedstep wasn't working anymore and the clock was permanently 3.6GHz in CPU-Z even though EIST was enabled.

I adjusted the tRFC from 44 to 54 with Memset 4.0 in Windows. Don't know if this change is permanent in BIOS?

As you can see on the screenshot, Easy Tune 6 doesn't show (G)MCH Overvoltage. How can I display VTT, vMCH and Vcc in Windows?

CPU-Z still shows 1.120V under load with the latest version of Prime 95. BIOS is set to 1.200V manually.

Still, the clock seems to be stable @3.6GHz in Windows. Pushing up the Vcore is surely just going to increase power consumption and heat? My problem is why these settings don't work when I set them in BIOS. The machine refuses to post and defaults back to a 333MHz FSB. I am taking all the settings seen in Windows (when overclocked) and entering it into BIOS.
Still no POST. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Is there anyway that I can find out why?

This 3.6GHz overclock is supposedly not such a huge overclock and no voltage tampering should be required. Nothing can be wrong with the memory cause the overclocking is working in windows.(Just not when setting everything in BIOS) Don't think Heat is a problem, because the Asus Cooler is doing a pretty good job! This just doesn't make sense......

Really appreciating your help but I'm not so clued up with this stuff as you guys! Don't understand all the technical terms yet, but I don't just want to give up!!!

Back