• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Dual AMD Opteron 6328's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nefariis

Hello -

I've been using my home server for a few years now for home media, personal databases, and for various rest calls that I use for my applications - and up to this point, everything has been working great.

I wanted to add a few more tasks to it such has home monitoring/recording and a personal dedicated server for a game I've been playing and I'm thinking that my server might need a little more umpf

My specs are:
  • MotherBoard: SuperMicro H8DGU-F
  • Chips: Dual AMD Opteron 6328's "Abu Dhabi"
  • Ram: 64 GB's of PC3 10600
  • PSU: Dual 700w power supplies

I came across this website but I wasnt quite sure if it was going to work with my board and I wanted to double check with you guys before I did anything drastic.

So my questions are -
  • Can I overclock this system?
  • Should I overclock this system?
  • If so, what applications/method should I be using?

Thank you guys for any and all help

Yes I did read that thread which is how I found out about OCNG5 - but that thread nor the area51 development website specifies anyone having my board (H8DGU-F) and it also says on the website.

Q: What about dual-socket G34 boards?
A: They are currently unsupported simply because I don't own any. If you can sponsor or loan a unit for about 6 weeks I can work on porting the mod to it.

It does support this board though -
- H8DGi-F

which is nearly identical.

Could I brick my mobo if the flash isn't compatible or would I just get an error/restart?

Thanks

IF you get that board to overclock, it probably won't go far without some extra voltage and cooling.

Can you brick a bios with a bad flash? Yes there's always a risk even if it's a correct bios for the correct board with no modifications.....

monitoring/recording and a personal dedicated server for a game I've been playing

You don't "need" to overclock for any of that. lol. I suppose this is a want thing. Sell your board and look for OC support on G34 with an Asus board ;)

Back