• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Escapades: socket LGA1150 Intel Core i5 4690K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Well, after running at stock speed for around eight months now I decided to see what level my CPU might be capable of overclocking to.

Good news is my CPU is capable of some kind of an overclock. Bad news is I seem to have an average to below-average chip that doesn't really overclock that well.

Batch number: X527A991

stock (100MHz x 35): 1.15v (voltage set to auto/default) (55-56°C max load temp)
4.2GHz (100MHz x 42): 1.179v (1.18v) (62°C max load temp)-ASRock Z97 Extreme6
4.3GHz (100MHz x 43): 1.247v (1.25v) (68°C max load temp)-ASRock Z97 Extreme6
4.4GHz (100MHz x 44: 1.29v) (1.29v) (77°C max load temp in Real Temp, 80°C in HWMonitor)-Asus Z97-A USB 3.1 -four hours Prime95 stable

It would run at 4.4GHz, with 1.25v, but crashed every time I loaded up a particularly stressful benchmark (Intel XTU, 3DMark Firestrike, prime95, Cinebench r11.5 and r15, etc).

Last edited:

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
i have the i5-4670k. im at 4.5ghz (100Mhz x 45) and vcore @1.2v. other settings are:
uncore @ 42 multiplier
VRIN loadline calibration set to Extreme
VRIN external override 1.8v
cpu Ring 1.10

OP
Tech Tweaker

Tech Tweaker

Well, I took another shot at 4.4GHz yesterday and the day before. The CPU is just unwilling to remain stable at that speed.

Tried increasing vCore all the way to 1.272v, but that wasn't enough. Tried lowering memory clock down to 1333MHz from 1866, didn't seem to help. Increased System Agent Voltage from the apparent default of just below .9v up to 1.105v, didn't help. Tried increasing CPU Cache Frequency/Northbridge Frequency (as CPU-Z refers to it as) to get it closer to the CPU clock too, also didn't help. I'm guessing it would need 1.28-1.3v to be stable at 4.4GHz, and my cooling likely wouldn't handle that very well.

All I got for my trouble was a much hotter CPU (went from 55°C at stock up to 70-74°C, up from 68°C at 4.3GHz). It appears this is one of those 4.3GHz dog CPU's that must be somewhere near the bottom of the bell curve. I was encouraged when I saw some users posting about hitting 4.5-4.6GHz with just 1.2-1.25v, but this CPU is sadly not that good of a clocker. Shame because I was really hoping it would hit 4.4-4.5GHz, never mind the 4.7-4.9GHz that some claim to achieved at less than 1.3v. I may have to look into a better clocking 4670K or 4690K at some point, or maybe 4770K or 4790K when they start getting much cheaper than $300+.

OP
Tech Tweaker

Tech Tweaker

curious...how long do the stress tests run before it crashes?

The best I could get was it crashing 30-40 seconds into Intel XTU's benchmark test, Prime95 lasted about an hour though. I could run Cinebench r11.5 and r15 fine, ran Steam's VR benchmark fine, ran 3DMark Firestrike sometimes (but sometimes it crashes). Crashed a few minutes after I loaded up a game's launcher (before actually starting a match). So, it's apparently stable(ish) for some types of system loads, but not all.

wingman99

For stress testing you can go up to 90c. Intel says it is fine on there site for Intel possessors to be used at that temperature a lot of people ask that question with laptops.

OP
Tech Tweaker

Tech Tweaker

For stress testing you can go up to 90c. Intel says it is fine on there site for Intel possessors to be used at that temperature a lot of people ask that question with laptops.
Just because I can go up to 90°C doesn't mean I want to though.

I like mine below 70°C, or below 60°C if at all possible.

I think TJ Max is 90-100°C, I just don't like running my stuff that close to the maximum temperature, especially not on my main PC.

Last edited:

wingman99

Tjunction Max is the maximum temperature the cores can reach before thermal throttling is activated. Thermal throttling happens when the processor exceeds the maximum temperature. The processor shuts itself off in order to prevent permanent damage. Tjunction Max (Tj Max) is also referred to as TCC Activation Temperature in certain processor datasheets. link from intel http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005597.html
TJ Max is 100c

So you could run your CPU for 3 years at 100c without voiding the warranty.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You can actually hit 100c. We say 90c for built in headroom as well as sometimes experiencing instability arounder there.

Running it at 60/70c is your choice but there is ZERO reason to do so. It won't kill it or degrade before you upgrade in a couple years.

Voltage is good to 1.45V so you have plenty of headroom on both fronts should you choose to actually use it.

OP
Tech Tweaker

Tech Tweaker

You can actually hit 100c. We say 90c for built in headroom as well as sometimes experiencing instability arounder there.

Running it at 60/70c is your choice but there is ZERO reason to do so. It won't kill it or degrade before you upgrade in a couple years.

Voltage is good to 1.45V so you have plenty of headroom on both fronts should you choose to actually use it.

What?

I'd heard that going beyond 1.3-1.35v was dangerous for the Haswell and Devil's Canyon (Haswell Refresh) CPU's...

Maybe I've still got the AMD mentality where 60°C is deadly to CPU's, dunno. I've just never liked to run my CPU's particularly hot.

wingman99

Like Earth Dog already mentioned running the temperature a little cooler helps with stability sometimes when overclocking. If Intel changes from High-k, Metal Gate Transistor to carbon nanotubes you will be able to run at 300c.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
What?

I'd heard that going beyond 1.3-1.35v was dangerous for the Haswell and Devil's Canyon (Haswell Refresh) CPU's...

Maybe I've still got the AMD mentality where 60°C is deadly to CPU's, dunno. I've just never liked to run my CPU's particularly hot.
1.4-1.45V is fine for Haswell/DC 24/7. 90C is also fine. :)

If you are nervous, stay with 1.4V. :)

OP
Tech Tweaker

Tech Tweaker

I found 4.4GHz, it took .04v more (1.29v) than what was needed for 4.3GHz (1.25v)

Tír na nÓg

Regarding max temp, 100c is good at stock clock/vcore. Not sure the CPU likes it with an extra 0.25/0.30v...

I would advise to stay in the low 80's, and I am not too conservative! :D