• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Escapades: socket LGA1366 Intel Core i7 930

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's funny because the one of the first threads I come across is about a 1366 I7 and I'm running an I7-940 at 3.8 and memory at 192 with 9-10-10-28-37 timings. I'm thinking about upgrading to an ASUS X79-Deluxe with a 4930 I7 but I'm not sure I would gain much. I bought G-Skill Ripjaw Z memory PC-2400 because I had the intention of jumping up to 2011 but now I'm not sure if it's worth it since my old I7-940 is so good!

Here's a comparison of the two.

Hey Tech... Have you tried pushing any higher uncore/ddr3 memory speeds yet on your 930?

In the past I didn't have much success with this sample...But the last day or two I've been giving it another shot and I think I finally got some settings dialed in for this W3540. ~21hrs. crunching Rosetta (100% load).

Attachments

• W3540 4.2GHz DDR3-2000.PNG
    W3540 4.2GHz DDR3-2000.PNG
    74.3 KB · Views: 230
Thanks! What is going on with the 2011 processor's at Newegg? Down to only six options? I thought the 2011 was in Intels roadmap for at least the next three years.

LGA2011 is the high end enthusiast platform. I don't think Intel will have a high variety of CPUs for it.

Hey Tech... Have you tried pushing any higher uncore/ddr3 memory speeds yet on your 930?

In the past I didn't have much success with this sample...But the last day or two I've been giving it another shot and I think I finally got some settings dialed in for this W3540. ~21hrs. crunching Rosetta (100% load).

Well, I got the uncore/QPI to 3272.5MHz base/6545MHz effective speed with the CPU core at 4GHz. I forget what the memory speed was at.

I've got a different board/CPU setup on the test bench right now though, so I can't check it at the moment. The LGA1366 setup is sitting in a box at the moment, and the TRUE that I was using for cooling on this is sitting on a socket AM3 setup for some testing and overclocking. Got an LGA1155 set up to test on the bench right now, and still installing programs on this one to begin testing to make sure it's stable (pics of that to come in the "What did you get today?" thread, along with explanation of why the testing).

Probably be a little while before I get back to testing the LGA1366 rig, since I need to test the AM3 next and continue my overclocking on that and hopefully run and submit some benches.

Hey PolRoger,

What are the memory settings you're running at?

CPU Tweaker shows the timings... DDR3-2000 8-8-8-24

Well, I got the uncore/QPI to 3272.5MHz base/6545MHz effective speed with the CPU core at 4GHz. I forget what the memory speed was at.

I've got a different board/CPU setup on the test bench right now though, so I can't check it at the moment. The LGA1366 setup is sitting in a box at the moment, and the TRUE that I was using for cooling on this is sitting on a socket AM3 setup for some testing and overclocking. Got an LGA1155 set up to test on the bench right now, and still installing programs on this one to begin testing to make sure it's stable (pics of that to come in the "What did you get today?" thread, along with explanation of why the testing).

Probably be a little while before I get back to testing the LGA1366 rig, since I need to test the AM3 next and continue my overclocking on that and hopefully run and submit some benches.

Ok... :thup:

I've been running X58/i7 for quite sometime but I finally got around and picked up a 6-core cpu to run/test. This one seems to be cooler running then my 45nm Bloomfields... The shrink to 32nm is probably helping with the temps... Using the same H110 that I was using with the 920/W3540.

Attachments

• i7 980X 4.39GHz DDR3-2100.PNG
    i7 980X 4.39GHz DDR3-2100.PNG
    70.7 KB · Views: 219
I'm back testing this one out again. This time with a different motherboard, GPU, and hard drive.

Getting some encouraging results, but I think I'm running into a thermal issue of some kind. The system remains stable for a long period at 4.2GHz, but crashes randomly (sometimes after two hours, sometimes in a little over an hour). Temps are quite high though, I'm hitting and sometimes exceeding 80°C on some cores under full load. At 4.3GHz, I can't seem to get the system to run prime95 for more than a few minutes before blue screening or locking up. It is stable enough to run benchmarks at 4.3GHz though.

Core i7 930 4.3GHz wPrime 1024M 179.139s.jpg

Back