• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking evga 980ti Hybrid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adambean

Registered
Hey all,

New to the OC world and unsure how far I can push this card. My current OC is:
+87mV Voltage
+100-140 MHz GPU Clock Offset
+500 MHz Mem Clock Offset

If I push the GPU Clock above 140, I crash during the 3d Mark testing.

@100 MHz GPU Clock Offset:
Firestrike: 17530
Firestrike Extreme: 9061
Firestrike Ultra: 4808

@140 MHz GPU Clock Offset:
Firestrike: 17632
Firestrike Extreme: 8332
Firestrike Ultra: 4553

So, a couple things.
1) Are my settings optimal? What else if anything can I change?
2) Why do my numbers go down on 2 of the 3 tests when bumping up to 140?

Thanks!

ninjacore

Could be throttling @ +140. Monitor your temps and load % in GPU-z while you stress test it.

OP
A

adambean

Registered
Ok, will check that out.

Should I be looking at adjusting the power target/gpu temp target as well?

Also, I can't seem to get above +140mhz ... as I will crash. This takes me to 1332mhz; whereas this guy is getting over 1500, what the hell?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Power target, when overclocking, should be cranked to its highest so you will not throttle.

Also, where are you seeing 1332 MHz? Are you seeing ACTUAL boost clocks (read from graph in MSI AB or on sensor page in GPUz). That said, every GPU is different so what one person gets, you may get lower or higher. ;)

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Ok, will check that out.

Should I be looking at adjusting the power target/gpu temp target as well?

Also, I can't seem to get above +140mhz ... as I will crash. This takes me to 1332mhz; whereas this guy is getting over 1500, what the hell?

Part of it will be how well you did in the silicon lottery.

I have my 980 Ti Hybrid running at +125 for the core and +250 for the memory. This is at +0 mV on the GPU and 110% power target.

It's a balance between power target, GPU voltage, and clock speed:

- More clock speed needs more GPU voltage
- More GPU voltage needs more power
- The card has a power limit of 110% (you have to set it)

When I tweaked my GPU voltage, I hit the power target sooner when the card boosted...as a result, the boost frequency was lower...even though the base clock was higher. That's why I left the GPU voltage at 0 mV. It boosts at a constant 1480 MHz.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Agreed with all the above. Try setting the voltage to about +30mV with at stock of 1.212v= just under 1.25v. I found with mine that when I surpassed 1.25v all it did was cause issue. 1.243 seemed to be the sweet spot for mine. When overclocking the core ONLY add volts when you need to. Don't set it at max right from the start or you'll get the throttling you see.

OP
A

adambean

Registered
I had some luck tinkering yesterda:

Score: 17897 (Firestriker)
Voltage: +87
Power Target: 110%
GPU Temp Target: 91
GPU Clock Offsert: +135
MEM Clock Offset: +500
nVidia Power Management: Maximum
ASIC Quality: 81%

Not sure if there's anything else worth pursuing at this time. I had earlier tests where I was at +140 GPU; however this is about the most stable I've been able to retain (at least using 3DMark anyway).

Any additional tips?

JrClocker

I had some luck tinkering yesterda:

Score: 17897 (Firestriker)
Voltage: +87
Power Target: 110%
GPU Temp Target: 91
GPU Clock Offsert: +135
MEM Clock Offset: +500
nVidia Power Management: Maximum
ASIC Quality: 81%

Not sure if there's anything else worth pursuing at this time. I had earlier tests where I was at +140 GPU; however this is about the most stable I've been able to retain (at least using 3DMark anyway).

What does the clock boost up to while doing the benchmarking? If you don't have multiple monitors, you can use the graphing function of the overclocking tools to see what it did. :thup:

Any additional tips?

Buy a 2nd 980 Ti Hybrid and SLI them? :chair:

OP
A

adambean

Registered
Oh, I was doing that based on what I read/saw elsewhere. What will lowering do? Will I be able to scale elsewhere?

In GPU-Z, I see my perfcap as power if that helps/matters?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You need to know how these gpus work. Long gone are the days of blasting voltage through a gpu and keeping it cool. As I mentioned above you need to keep any eye on the gpu clocks and see if it is throttling because of power use. Obviously if you lower the vomtage, there is less power used... hence the game/balancing act I mentioned earlier about raising clocks vs voltage.

Keep an eye out on how much lo power it's using by msi aglfterburner graph.

Again, what are the ACTUAL clocks it is boosting to? You can see that in msi ab graph as well.. you need to keep an eye on that!

OP
A

adambean

Registered
When I lowered the voltage back to 0, I crashed during the last test of 3DMark. In changing the voltage, should I be altering the other numbers?

Also, GPU-Z showed my perfcap as power still.

As for the Boost Clock, seems to hover in the high 11's or so.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you lower the voltage, you will have to lower the core clocks with it.

I meant you actual boost clocks for the core... 11s doesn't make sense.

Please post a picture of the msi ab graph which shows power limit, and core clock on the same screen. Please host internally at the site. :)

JrClocker

That's a good clock on the card...1506 MHz boost.

You should check to see if it's throttling or steady when running the benchmark. (i.e. if the GPU frequency stays at that)...the temp is only at 26C, so it was early into the benchmark.

OP
A

adambean

Registered
Yah, I don't think I've ever seen it go above 39 ... even after many tests in a row.

The clock is typically around there, rarely goes under mid 14's.

So what if anything would you recommend playing with, or am I pretty good as is?

JrClocker

I think you are pretty good as is.

When I do [email protected] on my card, the temp gets to about 47 C (and that's running it all day).

You should run the Heaven benchmark for 15 or more minutes to check for stability and check your temps. (This drives your card harder on a more consistent basis.)