• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking expectation on a 6700k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Hi all,

Quick question:

I've squeezed well enough the X99 setup in sig and was thinking of selling the CPU/MoBo combo and grab a 6700k, just for the fun of it.

What kind of OC do those chips do under water? I know it's a lot about silicon lottery, but what would be the average clocker?

Cheers!

Certainly not more than what you have already... 4.5-4.7GHz I would say is a high average. Look around the forum and see. Plenty have asked about it/are overclocking them so you can check there while you wait for more answers. :)

4.85GHz 5820K @ 1.33V is incredibly solid. I wouldn't sell that for a 6700K.

Certainly not more than what you have already... 4.5-4.7GHz I would say is a high average. Look around the forum and see. Plenty have asked about it/are overclocking them so you can check there while you wait for more answers. :)

Yes, I guess I got lucky on this one. Got it a couple of months ago, and, lurking around various forums, it seems the last Haswell-E batches do clock better than before.

Thanks, I will stick to my current setup (including the golden 780ti!) until Zen/Vega/1080ti.

- - - Updated - - -

Somewhere around 4.5GHz is pretty typical with an average chip and normal cooling, maybe more if you get a good chip.

Check out this page, you can pay to beat the silicon lottery:
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all

Thanks, I checked your link (did not know about them...): these guys push quite a lot of volts in their CPUs! 1.424v on a Skylake? How safe is that ?!? :-/

Hijacking my own thread... How much vCore do you think I can put into the 5820K?
I keep on seeing around that 1.35/1.36v is max for 24/7 oc (i pushed well above 1.5v for a few suicide runs, though...).

You have already won the silicon lottery!:D

Why you would want to change to another solution set is nonsensical.:mad:

Thanks, I checked your link (did not know about them...): these guys push quite a lot of volts in their CPUs! 1.424v on a Skylake? How safe is that ?!? :-/

They push to what I consider 24/7 ambient limits typically, 1.424V on Skylake is fine, I'm comfortable at 1.45V for my daily.
FYI, I've bought CPU's from Silicon Lottery more than once, they're true to their word.

They push to what I consider 24/7 ambient limits typically, 1.424V on Skylake is fine, I'm comfortable at 1.45V for my daily.
FYI, I've bought CPU's from Silicon Lottery more than once, they're true to their word.

I trust you on that, and pricing seems OK as well (except for the de-lidded 6700k@$750...).

I am just surprised that 1.35/1.4v is considered as max on a 22nm CPU, while 1.4+ is still ok on a 14nm.

I trust you on that, and pricing seems OK as well (except for the de-lidded 6700k@$750...).

I am just surprised that 1.35/1.4v is considered as max on a 22nm CPU, while 1.4+ is still ok on a 14nm.

You cannot compare core voltages from Haswell to Skylake, there were large power delivery changes for each generation.

To be fair, a 4.9GHz 24/7 safe 6700K is almost unheard of, I'd be pricing one that high as well.

Back