• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
two questions -

i got a athlon xp 2000+ , wondering how far i can crank this puppy, its been sitting around chilling :)

and also, I got a dell, with a 2.4 p4 on it, wondering if its possible to mess with these dell chipset mobo's, anyone know ?

Overclocking is good for money save and performance but, being an experienced user I can newer trusted to go upwards 40MHz for PCI bus reasons. This means about 1.2 times the performance is the upper limit. The best overclocking results are gained with 100 to 133 and 133 to 200 fsb speeds. Like Celeron 1200 to 1600 (1.33 times), and the new 2400 Prescout to 3600 MHz are the better choices. (1.5 Times) Like that -new memory sets- are unnecessary, so this way is CHEAPER. But, for a 800 MHz CPU the maximum (un)safe limit is 960 MHz. For those reasons, I really do not recommend to overclock a 800 MHz fsb systems. Paying for 550 MHz Rams are not a good idea if you are Overclocking for value. New Coolers for high temp away may also be expensive such as water cooling. With Socket 775 or what so ever, 1066 or 1200 fsb speeds may come and new type Prescout CPU's may accept to run at 1066 or 1066 versions to 1200 etc. Current i875 chipset is good for Prescout 2400 but I must say it is risky by means of Mos-Fet limit for thermal and electrical reasons. They roughly need 1.4 to 1.65Volts for that speed. The Watt consumption is too high. Over 120 Watts. This may kill the motherboard. There is one good motherboard for it from Gigabyte with twin power Mos-Fet design, but I didn't tried it. I have bought one Prescout 2400 but sold it later and bought a 3066 HT later for my Asus P4T533-C. Because Prescout CPU's -DO NOT- work on i850E and i845 chipsets. This is like Coppermine and Tualatin like difference for those motherboards. For that reason, if you want to run Prescouts, buy at least i848, i865 or i875 with Intel chiset. (RDRams can be overclocked 800 MHz to 811 MHz and 1066 MHz to 1116 MHz without trouble at Cas 2. This means 800 MHz systems can accept 136fsb and 1066 MHz systems can accept 138fsb.) Check your Ram manufacturers Cas limits for trouble free system performance. If your original Cas value increases, this degrades the performance and the Ram specific working characteristics.

More or less, conscious overclocking is Really DIFFICULT! If you are not an experienced user, like me over 15 years. Do Not TRY it for FUN! Calculate the expense, and if possible, postpone your purchase for the original upgrade when available. Waiting for a couple of years are not too difficult, unless you are really dying for performance. But for those people there are Workstation (such as Dual Xeon) or Server platforms. More or less, engineers knows this job better than us!

So if my system doesn't start up adn i do the reset, then do i up the voltage? Where can i find the VCore voltage in the Bios? Is it called CPU core voltage? If i up it to the first spot without O/C will my processor fry? Current'y i can not get to 2.2 Ghz on my 2A without my computer not turning on. I really need to know this stuff before i go screw wtih it.

ssprncvegeta said:
get the system, tweak it for yourself, and if you come to a problem you can't get past, post here or IM me on aim at: uberl33tjarad
Got ram ddr-3200 samsung, Got the FHS thermaltake extreme volcano12,
Been having so much trouble getting the mobile cpu, finally found one and i'll have it in 2-4 days, Could only get the 2500 not the 2600 i wanted but doesnt matter :thup:

MadSkillzMan said:
Hey, ive seen some guys REALLY push their CPUs, like a full 1ghz, how is that possible and does it shorten the life of it?
the pentium4 prescott 2.8ghz can usually pull 3.8ghz with some good air cooling like thermalright sp-94.

rsjrv99 said:
So if my system doesn't start up adn i do the reset, then do i up the voltage? Where can i find the VCore voltage in the Bios? Is it called CPU core voltage? If i up it to the first spot without O/C will my processor fry? Current'y i can not get to 2.2 Ghz on my 2A without my computer not turning on. I really need to know this stuff before i go screw wtih it.
too much voltage is bad. it usually helps you get higher speeds but always creates more heat, and you have to watch how high the voltage itself is. too much will kill the processor. heat is bad too. northwoods safe max is 50c, prescott max are 70c.

1 time test for overclocking

i have an old 400 mhz amd cpu that i want to try to ov/clk so if i kill it its no big woop... so here i am in the bios under chipset features and i have found wher it show dram timmings... looks like this
"bank 0/1 dram timming----sdram--8ns
bank 2/3 "" '"" ---- "" --8ns
bank 4/5 "" "" ---- "" --fp/edo 70ns

is this where i can begin to change the settings?
do i need to find and install one of the programs that have been listed on this forum?
or am i just totally lost?

I got a dual AMD MP2800+ on an MSI K7D Master-L with 2Gb of Corsair XMS platinum and an ATi Fire GL X1 256p (not so hot spec these days but still no turtle on the speed stakes).

With those specs what is a good OC (FSB, i dont wanna do a voltage OC cos it might kill my beloved CPUs)

would 2800MHz or more be OK or good ?

And on a K7D Master-L what would be the best way to OC?

nobanner.gif

nealric said:
Volts go up now :D

Set cpu at 1.85.
set ram at 2.8
Get that front side bus where it should be.

Great job so far :)
Now im at 207x11.5 vcore is max at 1.75v ram is 207MHz 2.7v max also
Soon i will go up to 208-210fsb and leave it there run it in prime, memtest it,
And might try it @ 210x12 see if its good then back the MP to 11.5. Then i need some coolong for the NB and SB plus some ram sink for summer time i got 2-3 months still, But hey not bad for a first time OC yeah. My Board wouldnt run 195x12.5 or 200x10 so a real change has come over it. I also had faulty ram since it was OC @ 250MHz woooooops me ----> :bang head
But now i have fsb:dram 1:1 all good.

Back