• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i5-8600k help :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Set the CPU multiplier in BIOS to 45X then reboot into Windows and test it, monitor voltage and temperatures

I tried to find CPU multiplier in the BIOS, but I could find anything like it. Do you know if there could be other names for it?

CPU ratio? maybe. Same thing you set to get to 4.8 but only set to 45

@ trents... I see the cache frequency is at 4.4 Ghz and not in sync with the CPU multiplier. I mentioned in the past this seems to be an ASRock thing...this is another instance where that statement appears to be true as it doesn't seem to be moving past the 4.4 GHz max we see out of boards (cache frequency will vary by board vendor).

Okey, the CPU multiplier is now set to 45.

Core Voltage stays around 1.240v stable, temperatures are 33 degrees with minimum load.

Also did an Intel Burn Test on High, and the test was a success, so I guess it's stable where it's at now. Max temp was 78 degrees while doing this burn test.

Skjermbilde44.PNG

Last edited:
Also did an Intel Burn Test on High, and the test was a success, so I guess it's stable where it's at now.
So now the name of the game is to raise the multipier and test again. If it fails, you need to add a bit of voltage (.05V) and test again. If it passes, rinse and repeat until you hit a temperature limit (~90C when stress testing) or voltage (less than 1.4V)...whichever comes first.

So now the name of the game is to raise the multipier and test again. If it fails, you need to add a bit of voltage (.05V) and test again. If it passes, rinse and repeat until you hit a temperature limit (~90C when stress testing) or voltage (less than 1.4V)...whichever comes first.

Alright, I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Ok, so I set the multiplier to 48, and then I tried the burn test again, and it failed. Then I raised the voltage 0.05 (1.335) I believe it is now. Should I try to raise it once more?

The highest temperature when I did the test was 82 degrees.

Last edited:
Okey, well it failed some times now, and I tried to raise the voltage .05v every time it failed, and now the temperatures are reaching 85 degrees while testing, and the volt is now set at 1.345v.

Should I continue to raise the voltage until it hits 90 degrees? Or should I stop here.

I did read post 25, and I did what you said, but it's still failing.. I'm at 1.340v now..

EDIT: I'm at 1.360v now, and it still fails, and it's starting to show red when im editing it.. temperature is 86 degrees max when im testing, what should I continue doing?

Last edited:
At this point, you are pushing max volts and temps... so i would go back down a notch or two amd test for stability there.

Well if I go down, we know it wont be stable, in that case I would have to go down with the multiplier aswell as the volt right?

What should I set it to you think? Like 4,6ghz or something? and the volt 1.300v? I have no idea, im so confused

The name of the game is to use the least amount of voltage for a given clockspeed. Each cpu is dofferent so we dont know either.... cookie cutter settings arent optimized if it works at all as you have seen.

If i was you, i would set 4.7 ghz and find the least amount of voltage needed to be stable there.

How long are you testing with that program? Ideally, you want to lower until it fails in a quick test, then raise voltage in smaller incrememts (.025) and test.... its a process. Youll like want to pass a stress test for a couple hours to be stable.;)

I think the good ole fashioned incremental approach is what you need to put in place here, Vinztro.

1. Return all values in bios to stock Default. When in bios there is a hot key for doing this quickly, F7 on a lot of motherboards, I think.
2. Now, set the CPU core voltage values to "Fixed" and "1.25 volts". Set the core speed multiplier to to 42x and "all cores." Set the LLC to one notch below the highest level. Set memory frequency to XMP.
3. Boot into Windows.
4. Download and unpack Prime95 v. 26.6
5. Download and install HWMonitor (non pro version)
6. Download and install CPU-z (I think you already have done this)
7. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and expand the user interface window to be able to see from the top all the way down through the core frequency section.
8. Launch Prime95 26.6 and run the blend stress test for 20 minutes to establish max temp baseline and to demonstrate tentative stability, which should be no problem at all at the stock core frequency multiplier.
9. After completing the stress test capture an image of HWMonitor with Snipping Tool as well as images of these three tabs from CPU-z: CPU, Memory and SPD
10. Now, go back into bios and increase the core speed multiplier to 43x and rerun the P95 stress test as above for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open as above. Watch core temps. It's okay for the hottest core to run as high as 90c.
11. Repeat this process until you cannot pass the 20 minute Prime95 stress test. Then go back into bios and increase the fixed core voltage from 1.25 to 1.26 and rerun the stress test. Add another .01 volts if you still cannot pass the stress test.
12. Proceed in that manner repeatedly, adding to the core speed multiplier in 1x increments and to the .01 increments to the core voltage when you cannot pass the stress test.
13. When you think you have "hit the wall" and you can't get stable because temps are getting to high or voltages under stress are exceeding 1.4 (Watch HWMonitor to see what the peak CPU core voltages are hitting under stress) then back off the core speed multiplier 1x and run a long Prime95 blend stress test (2 hr.).

Report back with pics attached and we'll go from there to address things like AVX offset when you have completed the above steps.

I think the good ole fashioned incremental approach is what you need to put in place here, Vinztro.

1. Return all values in bios to stock Default. When in bios there is a hot key for doing this quickly, F7 on a lot of motherboards, I think.
2. Now, set the CPU core voltage values to "Fixed" and "1.25 volts". Set the core speed multiplier to to 42x and "all cores." Set the LLC to one notch below the highest level. Set memory frequency to XMP.
3. Boot into Windows.
4. Download and unpack Prime95 v. 26.6
5. Download and install HWMonitor (non pro version)
6. Download and install CPU-z (I think you already have done this)
7. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and expand the user interface window to be able to see from the top all the way down through the core frequency section.
8. Launch Prime95 26.6 and run the blend stress test for 20 minutes to establish max temp baseline and to demonstrate tentative stability, which should be no problem at all at the stock core frequency multiplier.
9. After completing the stress test capture an image of HWMonitor with Snipping Tool as well as images of these three tabs from CPU-z: CPU, Memory and SPD
10. Now, go back into bios and increase the core speed multiplier to 43x and rerun the P95 stress test as above for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open as above. Watch core temps. It's okay for the hottest core to run as high as 90c.
11. Repeat this process until you cannot pass the 20 minute Prime95 stress test. Then go back into bios and increase the fixed core voltage from 1.25 to 1.26 and rerun the stress test. Add another .01 volts if you still cannot pass the stress test.
12. Proceed in that manner repeatedly, adding to the core speed multiplier in 1x increments and to the .01 increments to the core voltage when you cannot pass the stress test.
13. When you think you have "hit the wall" and you can't get stable because temps are getting to high or voltages under stress are exceeding 1.4 (Watch HWMonitor to see what the peak CPU core voltages are hitting under stress) then back off the core speed multiplier 1x and run a long Prime95 blend stress test (2 hr.).

Report back with pics attached and we'll go from there to address things like AVX offset when you have completed the above steps.

I will try this later today, or else im just gonna go with what I have now, even if its unstable :-/

Back