• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking I7 860 on P7P55D-LE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
System specs:

I7 860 [stock cooling]
OCZ OCZ3OB1600LV6GK 6GB
Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650W
ASUS P7P55D LE
Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS

I started off just running benches of the stock settings
pcmark_non_oc.jpg

Then I bumped it up, keep in mind using the stock cooling.
super_pi_34ghz.jpg
pc_mark_34.jpg

I did stability testing for 2 hours then bumped it up again. This time I left it here.

super_pi_36.jpg

pcmark_36.jpg

Considering I am running this on stock cooling leaving hte voltage on auto. Stress tested 2 hrs again, so far no problems.

Really the only thing I adjusted was the cpu freq. This is the first time I have looked at an I7 of any sort and I haven't overclocked anything since my X3210 back in the day.

A lot of the options on the board I don't understand so I left just about everything as auto

I will be posting the settings I am currently using later. Is this about average for this chip?

Thoughts? Comments?

drsethl

Hi,
I have the i7 860 with P7p55d pro. Just used the Asus auto overclocking tools so far--Turbo Evo and OC Tuner. Neither has produced results nearly as impressive as yours. Turbo Evo got me up to 145 FSB (multiplier is 22) so 3190Mhz. OCTuner stopped at 137. This is my first ever time overclocking though, so perhaps there's something obvious that I'm missing. Will report back.
Seth

drsethl

Actually turns out the problem was with my memory already being set to maximum 1600mhz, any changes to FSB also changed that which caused the nosedive. Currently testing on 160x22 FSB, temperatures 66, 67, 69 and 71 for the four cores. Did buy a dedicated cpu cooler, not sure how effective it is tho (just bought the mid-range one that was offered).

rootwiler

have you had any problems running that ram on windows 7? I got the same specs as you ..6 gigs of ram..and I'm running into mad errors. I wondering if you've had any problems?

Farwalker

Registered
have you had any problems running that ram on windows 7? I got the same specs as you ..6 gigs of ram..and I'm running into mad errors. I wondering if you've had any problems?

How do you have you memory slots populated?

I thought the P55 boards were dual channel memory. I can't figure out how you have 6GB of ram in two or four slots; unless it is two sticks of 2GB and two sticks of 1GB.

If you are using three memory sticks, that is your problem.

Xenofin

@Farwalker (no need to answer here now , I found your specs in other thread, thanks :):

I have the same mobo and processor but four sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 (1.6V)(7-8-7-24). Could you kindly tell me what are you settings for Bclk and cpu ratio and voltages for IMC and PLL. I have problems going over 190 bclk and cpu ratio 19 (1.3V) with memory speed below 1600 and with 9-9-9-24-88 settings. Especially when I try to raise ratio to 20 or bclk to 200.

I know for sure that these sticks can go higher because I have run IntelBurntest for 1 one hour with 160 bclk, cpu ratio 22 and DDR-1920 successfully.

My target is to have "mild" OC with 3.8 GHz continuously.

Last edited:

TheBigEasy

Hello Stratus_ss, newbie can you post a step by step process for your overclocking an I7 860 on P7P55D-LE,
would luv to get into the overclocking but afraid of damaging system
Thanks

Brutal-Force

Stratus, something you may want to keep in mind. Let me preface this by saying I have a Gigabyte P55-UD4 so this may not apply and an i5 750. Both SamSaveMax and I have noticed that with a lower Bclk (180) and Turbo mode (Enabled, Intel jumps up to 24X Multi) and EIST enabled, the i5 "jumps" to almost 4.4GHz during Super Pi, this results in a better clock than turning off all power options/enabling or disabling turbo for a manual Overclock.

My best time on 180 Bclk with 20X Multi - Turbo and EIST enabled is 9.953 (Runs Cool, 71 degrees, IBT stable, Prime Stable)

My best time with 190 Bclk 20X multi - Turbo enabled is about 10.153 (Runs Warm 78-81 degrees, IBT stable)

My best time with 200 Bclk 20X multi - Turbo disabled was 9.985 (Runs HOT! 88 degrees and borderline instable on IBT, Not prime stable)

Just something to keep in mind. I am sure your HT will also make a difference.

PolRoger

System specs:

I7 860 [stock cooling]
OCZ OCZ3OB1600LV6GK 6GB
Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650W
ASUS P7P55D LE
Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS

Really the only thing I adjusted was the cpu freq. This is the first time I have looked at an I7 of any sort and I haven't overclocked anything since my X3210 back in the day.

A lot of the options on the board I don't understand so I left just about everything as auto

I will be posting the settings I am currently using later. Is this about average for this chip?

Thoughts? Comments?

i5/i7 socket 1156 chips... ~3.6GHz with low volts ~3.8GHz with medium volts and ~4.0GHz+ with high volts. The i7 chips will often need more vtt than the i5 750 because of hyperthreading especially at higher overclocks and higher bclk. i7's can run really hot at higher overclocks.

Brutal-Force

Xenofin, your going to have problems with overclocking with 8 GB of ram. It can be done but there is a lot of tweaking involved. You need to up your vtt to about 1.25-1.33. Try your overclock with only 4 GB of ram installed and see if that makes a difference. That will determine if its the amount of ram causing the problem or not.

Also as Polroger said, these chips get HOT at higher clocks. So a recommendation is AFTER you have managed a High Somewhat stable OC ~4.0 Run Super Pi, then turn back your OC to about 180 Bclk and then enable EIST and Turbo. Watch CPUz while running Super Pi and you should see the Turbo Boost kick in and be somewhere ~4300 MHz. You should end up with about the same score as a 4.2 OC. I have a i5 750 and not a i7 so your mileage may vary.

Sifumaster

Registered
Hello everyone I'm new to the site and just built my computer for the first time. my specs are...
2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D PRO Rev 1.xx

8184 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit (X2)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

650 W seasonic power supply

so my question is when i first built it, I only had 4 gs of ram, using the turboV evo auto turner i got it clocked to 3455Mhz, i installed 4 more g's of ram to a total of 8 now i can barely push 2994 on my processor. why is that and am i stuck at this lower setting?

i don't want to go crazy with my OC but my temps @ 3.4 were still in the 38-42 region with all apps and anti-virus going , playing a movie in the background and playing a game, was AWESOME.

i would just like to get a great OC out of my computer but the turboV can barely get it past 3.... what do i do and how can i fix this?

P.S. i have a Noctua 2X fan core cooling system as well, and my temps overall are awesome.

thank you in advance for what ever help that can be offered...