• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7-870 on Gigabyte P55-UD2 questions on RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webkrawlerr

Hey everyone! Thanx for any help.

I am in the dark when trying to understand how overclocking works with the RAM timing.

My RAM is G.SKILL DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) 7-7-7-18 1.5 volts (16GB)

I have already seemed to get a pretty stable overclock to 3.41 Ghz with
these settings: No change to anything else in the BIOS except - 155 BCLK x 24x multipler. (no voltage changes)

Turbo would be 3.7ghz but Windows reports 3.41 Ghz anytime I access it.

I have the stock fan and runs about 62C at idle but during gaming (Planetside 2)
hottest I have recorded is 82C. I am in the process of getting a better fan (Arctic Cooler 7 Rev 2) I should have it in about a week.

I acheived 3.52ghz with 167 BCLK x 21 CPU multiplier but the idle goes up to about 72C with the stock fan. So, I'm not going to use that until I get the new fan. I should still not have to mess with the voltages for that OC, should I?

But, how does all this affect the memory (RAM). I think 3.52ghz would be great for a mild overclock with a modest fan upgrade and I should be able to get my gaming temps back down around 60-65 with the new fan.

I am not sure how my RAM will like all this, though. I don't have the knowledge in figuring my RAM into all this.

Any help?

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Thanx for any help.
I am in the dark when trying to understand how overclocking works with the RAM timing.
My RAM is G.SKILL DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) 7-7-7-18 1.5 volts (16GB)
I have already seemed to get a pretty stable overclock to 3.41 Ghz with
these settings: No change to anything else in the BIOS except - 155 BCLK x 24x multipler. (no voltage changes)
Turbo would be 3.7ghz but Windows reports 3.41 Ghz anytime I access it.
I have the stock fan and runs about 62C at idle but during gaming (Planetside 2)
hottest I have recorded is 82C. I am in the process of getting a better fan (Arctic Cooler 7 Rev 2) I should have it in about a week.
I acheived 3.52ghz with 167 BCLK x 21 CPU multiplier but the idle goes up to about 72C with the stock fan. So, I'm not going to use that until I get the new fan. I should still not have to mess with the voltages for that OC, should I?
But, how does all this affect the memory (RAM). I think 3.52ghz would be great for a mild overclock with a modest fan upgrade and I should be able to get my gaming temps back down around 60-65 with the new fan.
I am not sure how my RAM will like all this, though. I don't have the knowledge in figuring my RAM into all this.
Any help?

Hi
I have the same project. Why dont you just raise the ram freq to 1600 and voltage to 1,6? practicaly every ram should run on that....Regarding the Temps , my i7 870 with stock fan on 3200 GHZ has very similar Temps ,..so I assume the stock fan is worth shhit,...how much did you lowert with new fan, which one did you install?

My question to you would also be, how did you manage to get multiplicator factors like 21? My MB (the same as yours) allows only 22, 23 and 24 values in BIOS?
another thing is the GPU freq, if you raised the clock also GPU freq increased, did you monitore the temps of it?

regards zmago1

Back