• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking in Riva Tuner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samildanach

Registered
Hiya all. Just want to say before I ask my question that this is a fantastic forum, I have found many a solution to many a problem here.:)

My question is simple. I am trying to overclock an geforce4MX card using a program called Riva Tuner. It seems to me that there are two different methods of overclocking.

The first uses a 'low level hardware' overclock and the second is a 'driver level' overclock. My question is 'are there any actual difference between these methods?'

Thanks for your help guys. You'll be hearing more from me no doubt :D

Andrew

OP
S

Samildanach

Registered
Thanks for the welcome. Didn't think there was any difference but thanks for the reply. Did use coolbits before but for some reason it doesn't detect the core/memory speeds of the geforce4mx 420 card in question. Ir's not important but any idea why not?

Thanks again.

Andrew

maxima88

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

Not really sure if there's a difference but I use the "driver level"
o/c.

Don't forget to also tweak the opengl and directdraw settings.
Worth several hundred points more.

quegyboe

I have a GeForce4 MX and I noticed that I can't RELIABLY overclock using RivaTuner. When I set the core to 300MHz in RivaTuner using the slider, then test settings, it seems to actually clock the core at a totally different speed, (eg 300Mhz = 314.5Mhz). I just gave up on RivaTuner for OC'in and I use Coolbits.

OP
S

Samildanach

Registered
Thanks fellas for your input. Two questions. One to maxima88. Any pointers as to what tweaks you're thinking about? Second to quegyboe, how far have you managed to clock your geforce4mx?

Thanks again.

6502kid

First, in the poweruser tab, find the Open Matched det. database
button. Load the correct one for your driver version.

Then track down the Load Presets button in the poweruser Tab.

Then load the HighPerformance presets for your OS.

Good luck.

quegyboe

To answer your question, it's in my sig. I actually can go higher than what's in my sig, but I get artifacting and such so I stay where it is in my sig. My max tho, was 340/495. I ran through 3DMark but it wasn't viewable through the artifacts.